Microlite 265 - Don’t do what I did

Started by sandbar, January 09, 2021, 01:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Ok. That washer might work. The opening is pretty big though. This Microlite has some wear on it. I think it's mostly the body as the main gearshaft has some(to much?) play in it, but it is not side to side loose. More shall be revealed... Thank you Fred.

If I remember it right, I think on mine I turned on the AR, removed the rotor nut and was able to unscrew the rotor from the pinion.~~?

Also, when flushing the oversized ball bearing, does one remove the shields? Couldn't see how to do it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Already in an envelope, stamped and addressed to you in Koloa, HI, Greg —

I just use a pick to punch a hole in one shield — remove it — then toss that shield away.

Bearing gets cleaned with lacquer thinner and the US cleaner. 

50/50 mixture of Cal's purple and TSI321 — after cleaning, drying, and a 10 minute bath in a small jar of synthetic oil.

Install with the shielded side out towards the spool — and you are done.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

What is the best place to buy the TSI321 ?

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on January 10, 2021, 12:33:59 AM
What is the best place to buy the TSI321 ?

Just call Dawn, at SmoothDrag — they are great folks, and also great members.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

sandbar

Fred
Where do you poke the hole in the shield?
Outer race or inner?
90° or at an angle?
Maybe a picture?
Thank You
-Steve

foakes

90 degrees — easy touch — it is just soft brass, Steve —

As soon as you are just barely through the shield — pop it out with the pick — toss it away.

I generally like to take off both shields on freshwater reels — cleans up better — plus there is already a frame cup on one side, and a shield on the topside.  Cleaner, and well lubricated bearings — with no debris or crud, is always better than leaving the shields on.  Really makes little or no difference to reels that get serviced after every couple of seasons of usage.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

Thank You Fred.
That's a well used mallet.
What are the faces made of?
-Steve

foakes

It is an old brass mallet that I think I inherited maybe 25 years ago.

Was in a old toolbox from my sister-in-law's father, who passed on.

Didn't think much of it at the time.  A few years later I needed a small soft mallet for some reel work.

It has been next to the bench for 23 years — and likely has been used daily when doing reels.

Think I oiled the handle and set a new head wedge to tighten the head — it will outlive me.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

That's a sweet tool. Fits right in with the reels you work on.