DAM Quick Super 270C

Started by foakes, August 13, 2022, 08:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1958.

D.A.M. COMPANY HISTORY

The initials D.A.M. stand for 'Deutsche Angelgeräte Manufaktur' (i.e 'German Fishing Tackle Manufacturer'). The D.A.M. company was founded in 1902 by Fritz Ziegenspeck, who in 1887 became owner of the ironmongery, sport and fishing-tackle business which had been started by his older brother Oscar Ziegenspeck in Berlin in 1875.

In 1925 Otto Kuntze became the new owner of D.A.M. His son Hellmuth Kuntze led the new beginning and the re-building of D.A.M. in the post-war years. In the face of political and economic difficulties, the D.A.M. company was re-established in the West part of Berlin (with the postal code SW 68). On November 11th 1955 the opening of a new modern factory in Berlin Gunzenhausen was celebrated

DAM Quick had introduced the 270 in '54. It was a hit in the Angling world.

However, wanting to improve just slightly in a few key areas —- the Super 270C was debuted in 1958.

1:3.2 gears for faster pickup.  Improved and reinforced casing and components.

This model of the 270, is in my opinion, the toughest, strongest, most durable, and possibly one of the best and most effective reels ever produced for HD Salt-Water fishing.

Components, materials, design, and engineering are all top notch.  Metal spool, triple-reinforced and supported bail, bronze & steel worm drive, and much more.

It is a big, ugly (to some folks, not me), salt-proofed finish on parts, powerhouse of a reel for surf-fishing, offshore casting, bottom fishing, and handling large fish easily with the proper rod.

Here is the nicest example I have ever seen.

A 64 year old 270C Super in its original box, never rod mounted, never fished, spare parts, hang tags, owners manual, guarantee paperwork that matches the serial number on the reel, tube of oil.

All functions perfect and as smooth as oiled glass.

In keeping with the idea of offering these reels to our members for about 35% to 50% below the market —- $115 plus I will split the shipping.  So figure $120 Priority shipping to your door.  Won't post any more tomorrow, but may post one more this afternoon.  Then start again on Monday.

It is just time to clear out the reels.  Have over 600 complete DQ's + a few hundred thousand parts inventory.

I enjoy making reels for folks —- and also appreciate everyone's comments and interest.

As usual, no payment accepted until you receive the reel and are satisfied.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I appreciate hearing the history on the DQ reels Fred.I have one 270 which I have never used is there is way to date a particular 270?

foakes

Earliest 270's from '54 to '57 had a line counter mechanism.

Some of the earlier parts will not work in the later models.

The 270C that came out in '58, is basically what you find out there.  Most of these are corroded or salt-encrusted —- but with the right approach and the right parts —- they can be brought back to near new.

From '58 thru '63, they were still doing the 270C's.  There were a few detail variations such as crank knobs, drag knobs, spools, bail pick-up arm cap color, and the badge material.  But basically nearly any of these parts would interchange.

In '63, DQ came out with the Super 275 —- which is a 2-speed spinning reel.  These are rare.  It is a unique reel.

So, while there are certain "tells" that may indicate an approximate 12 month manufacturing range —- it only works if you bought the reel new, and actually know —- or if the reel has been untouched since new.

But you can get close.

These were the early years of HD Salt Spinners —- and remember, while there were Shakespeares, Langley's, and French HD Salts —- Penn would not come out with their excellent Spinfisher series for a few more years.  The 270 ruled the waters up until then —- and is still a very capable and effective reel for Big Game.

There is a back story told me by a Master Reelsmith from the UK, who was also a DQ & Penn authorized Service Center —- That Otto Heinz would visit him a couple of times a year.  They would go to dinner —- and Otto H. would pump him for information and insights on the DQ reels.  A few years later, the Penn 700 was introduced as the first reel in the Spinfisher series.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

foakes

Sold to a good member.

Thanks!

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: foakes on August 15, 2022, 11:24:50 PMSold to a good member.

Thanks!

Fred

We don't have any Bad Members :d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

These 3 volunteer to have there picture taken ...    They are my work horses ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

smazzola

😄