fishing kayaks

Started by mikeysm, February 28, 2021, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Mikeysm, where you gonna use it? Need for stability in rough water? Access points? Distance moving during fishing? How to transport to water? Eventually gonna want engine or motor power?

RFP and Oc1 are right, the Hobie Pro Angler series are expensive, but gotta be one a the best set-up for fishing yaks out there. Very stable lookin, but not the best for long distance, unless you have a motor/engine, kinda like a tank version of a kayak. Longer narrower rigs are faster.

Hobie will sell you just about anything you need, inclunding ama style outriggers, but at pretty high prices. Lots a guys engineer their own mostly plastic stuff, it's fun!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

I know Fast Lane Kayaks is still down in Mission Bay and I believe they have demos. - john

Swami805

Fast lane, that's the one I was thinking of
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sharkman

My wife and I tandem fish a nucanoe frontier 12. It is a super stable kayak. Very customizable due to track system.

MarkT

Quote from: Swami805 on March 02, 2021, 08:19:00 PM
Fast lane, that's the one I was thinking of
They're right next to Dana Landing.  I think they just carry Hobie's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

theswimmer

Quote from: oc1 on March 02, 2021, 07:58:43 AM
Quote from: Ron Jones on March 02, 2021, 04:03:40 AM
Truer words have rarely been said. First time I went over was off hickam beach. I was trolling and got hung up, that is an instant anchoring, and if you keep paddling, the boat spins 90 degrees faster than a mean mechanical bull operator... out you go. I lost the rod and reel, but kept the roy, a buddy of mine turned the skin into a jet head.
I hate capsizing and mussing up my hair.  I lost the most expensive baitcasting rod and reel I had ever owned in it's first two hours of use when the boat flipped.

What the heck is a jet head?

I believe the 'jet head ' reference is to a type of trolling lures that has a hole or small piece of tubing thru the head of the jig . When trolled it creates a bubble stream or water stream as the water passes thru .
Very effective in tropical waters for a large variety of fish...
I will see if I have one here and post a pic .
Best ,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Ron Jones

Bryan young has pictures of what I'm talking about.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mikeysm

I'm going to look at the hobie fishing pro 360. I just don't see anything that can match it.

Mike

pjstevko

Mike I'm not sure how you pan on transporting the kayak but be aware the Pro Angler is a heavy boat empty....

If you plan on putting it on a roof rack i suggest you look into the Thule Hullavator

https://www.thule.com/en-us/winter-and-water-sports-carriers/kayak-roof-racks/thule-hullavator-pro-_-1685448

If its going into the bed of a truck i suggest you get a tail gate extender

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70231-Extender-Ladder-Lumber/dp/B01D4CXIKY/ref=pd_lpo_468_t_1/140-2386417-5144702?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01D4CXIKY&pd_rd_r=07a8e2f4-5780-42a2-857f-8f8b85929ca0&pd_rd_w=QiI42&pd_rd_wg=lQOkG&pf_rd_p=16b28406-aa34-451d-8a2e-b3930ada000c&pf_rd_r=1Y8E5C1WPG1TA11QHVT0&psc=1&refRID=1Y8E5C1WPG1TA11QHVT0

and add magnetic trailer lights but attach them with heavy duty Velcro straps or webbing as the magnets are not very strong

oc1

I don't think it is a good idea to wear rubber boots in a kayak like this guy, but.....
Old Town Sportsman Autopilot 120 fishing kayak

Ron Jones

Quote from: oc1 on March 04, 2021, 06:42:37 PM
I don't think it is a good idea to wear rubber boots in a kayak like this guy, but.....
Old Town Sportsman Autopilot 120 fishing kayak

At some point, we need to stop calling these boats kayaks. I think they are awesome, but the boys in Greenland would look at you funny if you showed up in one of those. As microskiffs get smaller, and kayaks get wider, they will soon collide and we'll not know exactly what we are talking about. Sort of like the PC dory 60 years ago.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mikeysm

I have a trailer to haul the kayak I purchase. I also know how much it weights.

Mike

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 04, 2021, 07:35:03 PM
As microskiffs get smaller, and kayaks get wider, they will soon collide and we'll not know exactly what we are talking about. Sort of like the PC dory 60 years ago.

I think they have already collided Ron.  I saw a stand-up thing with an outboard at West Marine that they called a microskiff but was no grander or more stable than the kayak above.

The Inuit name "kayak" translates as "man boat".

pjstevko

Quote from: mikeysm on March 05, 2021, 02:56:08 AM
I have a trailer to haul the kayak I purchase. I also know how much it weights.

Mike

Perfect!!!!