The Jigmaster 500S

Started by mo65, February 06, 2019, 06:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tristan

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 06, 2019, 06:14:47 PM
Nice looking reel Mike.

Joe

If I found one that good looking, it'd probably go home with me too!   :)

Good job and great pics.

Surfrat

The take apart feature on this 500s is not more robust than the Jigmaster 500. The 500s was Penn's first attempt at coming out with new LEXAN (plastic) sideplates and solid chromed over brass posts.

Penn put the one screw take apart on the left side, figuring that the reel would not torque as much as their standard 500 jigmaster when squidding. Well just the opposite occurred. Party boats bought these reels for their rentals, they lost more spools and sideplates with this design then the older jigmaster 500 it was supposed to replace. The 500s frame would often twist fighting fish, that was because the 500s frame and screws are attached very different compare to the regular 500.

The 500s was a disaster for Penn, and was eventually taken off the market after a few years. Penn at one point used to put them in blister packs for the big retail chains, and were sold on sale for $19.99! I got mine for $10.

Decker

Interesting bit of history.  Thanks.

Donnyboat

Sweet reel Mike,  thanks for all the info, great pictures to, keep well, stay safe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: Surfrat on April 14, 2021, 12:23:41 PM
Penn put the one screw take apart on the left side, figuring that the reel would not torque as much as their standard 500 jigmaster when squidding. Well just the opposite occurred. Party boats bought these reels for their rentals, they lost more spools and sideplates with this design then the older jigmaster 500 it was supposed to replace. The 500s frame would often twist fighting fish, that was because the 500s frame and screws are attached very different compare to the regular 500.

This is the cool part about narrowing the reel and using an aluminum frame...all those twist issues disappear! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: Surfrat on April 14, 2021, 12:23:41 PM
The take apart feature on this 500s is not more robust than the Jigmaster 500. The 500s was Penn's first attempt at coming out with new LEXAN (plastic) sideplates and solid chromed over brass posts.

Here's what I meant by "more robust". In the first pic, the 500s has beefier posts to hold the side plate in the ring. In the second photo, the old Squidders and Jigmasters had the small "nipples" that can pop out if twisted.

Maxed Out

Good point Mo. The spacer bars also added to the strength. Head boats used these reels because they were affordable workhorses, but if not well maintained and also well abused on a daily basis, that opens the door to failure mode on any reel. The 500s design was a success, but the Lexan sideplates was a failed attempt at something new. The red aluminum spool is the best part and makes a nice starting point for a customized 500
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 15, 2021, 12:24:26 AMbut the Lexan sideplates was a failed attempt at something new.

What was the problem with the Lexan sideplates?

thorhammer

They shipped easily, is what I was told by Mike at Penn long ago. I've not had any issue, and I have several S's,  but I dare say I handle my reels in general better than they get on a party boat. It was having to use busted up gear- i went through three rods one time on a day trip, including one with splintered fiberglas, not even duct tape on the butt, digging into me- that sent me down the road of buying my first Senator and building a rod for it.

mo65

Quote from: nelz on April 15, 2021, 02:36:28 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on April 15, 2021, 12:24:26 AMbut the Lexan sideplates was a failed attempt at something new.

What was the problem with the Lexan sideplates?

Here's a great description of the troubles experienced with Lexan. For the record...I've had no problems using it in freshwater with aluminum framed reels...they are beautiful side plates when in like new condition. 8)

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31721.msg372130#msg372130

nelz

Hmm, I had no idea. Recently sold my 500S, but it was still near mint even after catching many big blues up North.