Avet charter on the SOA - June 22-25, 2021

Started by alantani, March 25, 2021, 11:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

NOOB question.....I realize a lot will change between now and June, but how far south could we expect to travel on a 3 day? We are scheduled to depart June 22 at 1100 hours and return June 25 at 0600 hours....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

dangalang

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on April 15, 2021, 08:07:35 PM
NOOB question.....I realize a lot will change between now and June, but how far south could we expect to travel on a 3 day? We are scheduled to depart June 22 at 1100 hours and return June 25 at 0600 hours....Bill

It all depends on what's biting. We could travel 300 miles south, fish a red hot bite for a few hours, then turn right around and head home.

A few years ago on the SoA, the trip before mine did what I mentioned above. I think it was a 5-Day and they ran all the way to The Ridge, fished for half a day, filled close to their limits, then turned around and went home. You never know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MarkT

Probably far enough south to get into the BFT.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

I chartered the SOA for 20 years strait several years ago. I in fact asked Mike that exact question one time on my charter. I sort of put it like this, "in a normal year how far from port would you travel on our 3 day if you had to?" Mike said about 170 from port would be in that time frame.

Now let me say this, we went to the Lupe twice on that 3 dayer in the 20 years I had it. Was it the norm as a choice? Heck no, but we did it. At the island at around 10 am, anchor around 11 am and headed back to home close to sunset. Not a lot of fishing time but on my charter we really didn't have another option at the time.

Several years we went to the dumper or the 60 mile bank which is way closer to the point, so like what was said it depends where the fish that you want to catch are. The long runs were mostly in the albacore days and my charter opted to chase BFT if any were around. In the over warm El Nino years where all the bait left and none where around were the years we ran to Guadalupe Island for YFT.

Bill B

Just checked my passport status, U.S. State Dept says it has been approved and in the mail....should be here by May 24th....Alan I still need to get my reels and jigs in the mail headed your way.  Bill

Have the passport in hand....

alantani

Your reels and flat falls are done.  See you tomorrow!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Bill B

Reels - 👍
Rods- 👍
Flatfalls- 👍
Tackle box- 👍
Passport- 👍
Calif/Mex fishing license- 👍
Fish processor- 👍
Place for momma to stay while I fish- 👍

Is it time to go fishing yet 😁😁😁

pjstevko

Hope you guys slaughter'm!

Jealous I can't be there

MarkT

I got back from an 8 day today. The BFT are within easy range of the overnight fleet. There were small skiffs out there too. Fish were from 15 miles west of Todos Santos up to west of Rosarito. I didn't work that hard for them and still got 3 with the best being 128# that came on a 300gm flat fall at 1:30am, landed at 1:40 and I was in bed 10 minutes later! The other 2 were 25 and 30# and came during the day on a sinker rig and fly line and I gave them away. I also gave away 12 out the 17 YT I caught down on the Thetis bank.  Go getum!

Bill B

Wish you were going too PJ.....thank you for the report Mark.....any photos of your trip?  Bill

Ron Jones

15 Miles West of Todos Santos? Leave in the morning and be on the pier for a lobster lunch out of Ensenada.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

MarkT

You needed a sweatshirt plus a windbreaker if it's windy and damp.

alantani