How many rods?

Started by MarkT, April 08, 2021, 03:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

You count them, until you get into the "Well how many pairs of shoes do you have? discussion...

JasonGotaProblem

Every time I get asked this, often by concerned relatives, my answer is "more than i need, less than i want"
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Breadfan

I have no doubt that they reproduce when we are not paying attention, you never know what happens when we turn of the light and close the door. Nature just has a way. I sell a few every year at my wife's request, but come next season, the numbers are right back up to where they were before. I swear to her, I had nothing to do with it.

philaroman

Quote from: Breadfan on January 16, 2023, 04:54:36 PMI have no doubt that they reproduce when we are not paying attention, you never know what happens when we turn of the light and close the door. Nature just has a way. I sell a few every year at my wife's request, but come next season, the numbers are right back up to where they were before. I swear to her, I had nothing to do with it.

one time, my rods wet to war w/ neighbor's rods  :o
I thought, oh good...  cull the heard, thin the ranks, etc.
but, NOOOOO -- they won w/out casualties & took prisoners  ::)

Woodpuppy

Quote from: philaroman on January 16, 2023, 05:16:39 PM
Quote from: Breadfan on January 16, 2023, 04:54:36 PMI have no doubt that they reproduce when we are not paying attention, you never know what happens when we turn of the light and close the door. Nature just has a way. I sell a few every year at my wife's request, but come next season, the numbers are right back up to where they were before. I swear to her, I had nothing to do with it.

one time, my rods wet to war w/ neighbor's rods  :o
I thought, oh good...  cull the heard, thin the ranks, etc.
but, NOOOOO -- they won w/out casualties & took prisoners  ::)

Are you sure that was war, or were they makin' something else?

pjstevko

I was just in the garage chilling with the cat and did a quick tally of my rods and I'm gonna say I have around 20.

That number including freshwater, travel, fly fishing and rods in need of repair.

As far as reels go I'm gonna guess it's around 15.

Guess to be part of the club I better start buying more of each  ;D

Brewcrafter

Yeah, it's tough.  But I can easily say without counting that 1/2+ of the rods I have I will A - Never use and B - Have little or no value.  But that are WAAAY cool. - john

CI_Seawolf

I lost count several years ago.  I am going to sell some of my shorter ones and some reels too.
Stay Classy!

sciaenops

More than 50 but < 100. Problem is I have more than a few that I can't even give away. And some I should have never gotten rid of.

MarkT

Well, I'm well under 100 now, my youngest son moved out and took some with him!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shellbelly

I have too many.  I was picking them up here and there with the intention of restoring and repairing.  The problem is I can't stop playing with reels long enough to focus on rods. Rod work demands a space that I have to create and then break down. 

If I could carve out the space, set everything up, and leave it, I would probably do the work on a regular basis and pick up more needy rods.  Then what!?  Have to put them somewhere.

Obviously, I wasn't thinking very far ahead when I started gathering old sticks.  I should have been buying surplus blanks.

I need a Space Management Professional who specializes in acute fishing equipment disorder.     
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

pointbob

for women it's shoes. for men it's rods.
Patience comes to those who wait

Donnyboat

Sorry Bob, what sort of looser was that, diffidently know swearing, & know ? , know text,you would want your 12 year old daughter read or here, keep well,cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

gentlemen, thank you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

I have never found it a good idea to ask my wife about how many of certain things she has.

Opens way too many cans of worms.

I never try to explain something to someone who has no possible way of understanding or comprehending it.

When it comes to rods and reels.

I have always stuck to the old lessons in the ballad written by Don Schmitz —- and recorded by Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers.

The Gambler...

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away, know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Just my approach.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.