Sustain 4000 FD Trim Pieces

Started by tarpon one, April 12, 2021, 12:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

I actively fish in saltwater with a Shimano Sustain 4000 FD. In my opinion this reel may have been one of Shimano's best spinning reels but parts are no longer available from Shimano. The gold trim pieces on the outside of the reel corrode and I'd like to replace them. Those part numbers are RD7930, RD7932 and RD 7952. In addition I'd like to replace both the Drive Gear RD7946 and Pinion Gear RD 7935. Does anybody have any idea where I can purchase these parts?

alantani

go to southwestern parts in dallas!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

arguably, final Japan-made SustainFD/StradicFH are among their best gear-boxes,
but victims of cost-cutting on less-essential external stuff (sep., Stradic) AND tough models for parts

quadruple your chances for donor reel:
pretty sure 5000-size uses same body w/ bigger rotor/spool (double-check schematics),
AND there should be a nearly identical JDM Twin Power 4000/5000 (if body looks same, IT IS!
can't think of much platform/design repetition in later/cheaper models -- also bad for parts)

also, pretty sure Stradic 4000FH spools should swap right in -- solid anodized AL,
instead of the high-end multi-part w/ all its nooks & crannies (ridiculous for S/W, IMO)

Gfish

Looks like a nice Shimano spinner. Are the gold trim parts plastic or aluminium, or both? Could they be painted? What's the rotor made out of? How about the gears, steel?, or some alloy?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

final attempt to stay in price range w/ Japanese manufacture
good (best?) mostly-metal "core" -- AL frame (fine-thread tapped!), alloy main, brass pinion, SS osc. worm
downgraded/cheapened rotor design...  don't like the knobs, either (drag, OR handle)
no other compatible handles, except maybe concurrent Stella
covers are really thin, dinky, corrosion-susceptible plastic that cracks & holds paint POORLY

tarpon one

Quote from: alantani on April 12, 2021, 02:06:37 AM
go to southwestern parts in dallas!!!!!
Thanks Alan I was not aware of SW Parts. I checked availability and nothing available.

tarpon one

Quote from: philaroman on April 13, 2021, 03:04:39 PM
arguably, final Japan-made SustainFD/StradicFH are among their best gear-boxes,
but victims of cost-cutting on less-essential external stuff (sep., Stradic) AND tough models for parts

quadruple your chances for donor reel:
pretty sure 5000-size uses same body w/ bigger rotor/spool (double-check schematics),
AND there should be a nearly identical JDM Twin Power 4000/5000 (if body looks same, IT IS!
can't think of much platform/design repetition in later/cheaper models -- also bad for parts)

also, pretty sure Stradic 4000FH spools should swap right in -- solid anodized AL,
instead of the high-end multi-part w/ all its nooks & crannies (ridiculous for S/W, IMO)

Surprisingly I've been able to get replacement spools on eBay at a reasonable cost.
However, if a relatively new 4000 or 5000 Sustain FD comes up for auction on eBay they always bring big money.
IMO just shows the desirability of this series reel.