Trinidad 30A bearing sitting proud in side case after assembly

Started by defrag4, June 21, 2021, 11:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defrag4

Had a friend bring me his Trinidad 30A to fix, it had very weak drag and sticky freespool lever, took it all apart,  found some of the dogs jumped the gear, I fixed that and cleaned it up and reassembled,

Upon reassembly I found I really had to wrench down on the star to get a decent amount of drag, not sure if this is normal or not?

I took it back apart and everything looked good, upon reassembly the second time I noticed this bearing on the side case was sitting up a bit out of the case

Took it all apart again, everything looks normal, upon reassembly I can see that the inner sleeve that rides on the driveshaft is pushing up on the bearing during assembly and causing it to push up out of the case

The reel seems to be working fine otherwise, but I can't help but think that bearing should be flush

Any ideas? I can only find 1 rebuild thread of these 30A reels

https://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=17631.0

boon

Something is wrong with your drag stack. It should be well below the lip of the drive gear once it has nested properly.

Tiddlerbasher

Make sure the inner sleeve is seated correctly - twist it back and forth until it drops into place.

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

redsetta

As Chris suggested, it's really easy to bump the Roller Clutch Inner Tube out of the notches on the pressure plate when fitting the side plate.
Worth checking anyway.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Fish-aholic

Picture shows last top hat metal drag washer is upsidedown and needs flipping over to return reels full drag range.  ;)

defrag4

so taking all your advice i took the reel apart again, checked everything you mentioned, put it all back together again, and same damn problem!?

Felt like I was taking crazy pills, I called up my buddy, he said he had another Trindad 30A that he bought new and has never opened up, so I went and got it, took it apart and BAM, same thing!

Picture from never before serviced reel

So i guess this bearing actually does sit up out of the case slightly, now that i compared the two the drag is working properly.

Hopefully this helps some poor soul in the future who is confused as I was.

defrag4

Quote from: Fish-aholic on June 22, 2021, 09:55:56 PM
Picture shows last top hat metal drag washer is upsidedown and needs flipping over to return reels full drag range.  ;)

this is a problem on the older model Torium (probably Trindad as well?) but the newer 30A just uses a flat washer there, no ridges on either side of the washer

I know this because I fixed a Torium in the past and that damn washer had me mixed up for a few days!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: defrag4 on June 24, 2021, 01:43:22 AM
so taking all your advice i took the reel apart again, checked everything you mentioned, put it all back together again, and same damn problem!?

Felt like I was taking crazy pills, I called up my buddy, he said he had another Trindad 30A that he bought new and has never opened up, so I went and got it, took it apart and BAM, same thing!

So i guess this bearing actually does sit up out of the case slightly, now that i compared the two the drag is working properly.

Thank you for posting back your Find on this .
Had me thinking parts were wrong in picture or something Drastic.
This well help the next poe Joe that tears into one .

defrag4

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 24, 2021, 02:52:13 AM
Quote from: defrag4 on June 24, 2021, 01:43:22 AM

Thank you for posting back your Find on this .
Had me thinking parts were wrong in picture or something Drastic.
This well help the next poe Joe that tears into one .

No problem, I always hate when these threads end with no resolution!

Question: did you notice that your driveshaft has a bit of side to side play, seems like that bottom bearing is tight on the shaft but I can still wiggle the shaft a little bit side to side, might be normal

Wompus Cat

QuoteBy defrag4
Question: did you notice that your driveshaft has a bit of side to side play, seems like that bottom bearing is tight on the shaft but I can still wiggle the shaft a little bit side to side, might be normal   

I don't even have one of these and Never Broke one Down  . I got a copy of the Schematic and was trying to see your problem is why I chimed in. I have quite a few older Shimano's but nuttin that Fancy .

I don't like slack in any type of Drive Mechanism however some things do have it and is normal after a period of use  as long as nothing grinds or slips you are probably ok.

Again it was nice to see your findings as it can and will be usefull for others in future I am sure and that's what this ol game is all about ain't it ?

alantani

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 22, 2021, 12:08:06 PM
Maybe a few probs you missed .

billy, this post just earned you a field promotion to sensei.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!