Thanks Fred! IT is Christmas in May!!!!

Started by El Pescador, May 16, 2021, 06:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

I sent 4 reels to Fred to give them his once over and his once over is almost bringing reels to almost BRAND NEW!!!!

The reels are:   Daiwa Sealine 27SH I purchased on eBay for $26, two Penn Surfmaster 100 reels, one as Randy said in his email, a MINTY SM 100 and REELY Randy, you could not be closer to the truth, my original Surfmaster 100 that has brought up so many bags of Rockfish and Ling Cod - this reel is a REEL workhorse, and lastly a Dam Quick 1401 reel, again I purchased from Randy for an amount of $$$ that I kept asking him are you charging me enough???  Are you making ANY money here or are you running one of those fandangled Non Profits on the Central Coast?  He told me several times, the price is fair for both parties, and I trust him on that statement.

Here are the fully & newly reconditioned reels at Fred's shop!!

Now back at our home on the guest bed.  And if any of you need a place to stay while in the Bay Area, this room is for you!!!

Here is my workhorse Penn Surfmaster 100 with OLD 40 lbs. braid on it, I bought it from a retiring San Diego Fisherman on CList.   

Here is my Minty SM 100, ready to be fished.

The deal of the week - Daiwa Sealine 27SH - and I have it loaded with 50 lbs. braid, it is ready to go.

And my Dam Quick 1401 ALMOST brand new from Randy - please call Randy before buying any reel to see what he has on his shelves!!!

Plan on using this for steelhead and bonefishing when I get a chance.

We here all need to raise our voices of many thanks to steller gents like Fred and Randy, both are true gentlemen and very kind souls - AND GENEROUS to their core.

My Salmon fishing trip last Friday was a bust, 35+mph winds, and 9-foot seas, too much for Khanh's 6-pack boat.

I keep hoping!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Ruffy

That's a great looking arsenal! That Dam looks mighty impressive.

I love the Daiwa's, and have three SMF170H's. Same drag size as the 50H, mag cast control, all in a 30H sized reel. I also like the 300H size, but the bearing cups with pressed in bearings does my head in a little bit.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Andrew

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Vintage Offshore Tackle

thorhammer

the 27 and 47's are undersung little tanks....I use them downrigging. Bought a package deal some years back, i don't think I even serviced them past new line, and never an issue. None. Knob a little small for what the reel can actually do.

Gfish

Yehp. Have 27H Sealine. Overall one of the better old-school levelwinders. That tiny knob is the only drawback. So gooda reel I'mina have to do somethin about that and the 30SH I got.
Great price for that'n Wayne!
Those era Daiwa's are outta the box tanks.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

El Pescador

GFish!

Agreed!!   The VERY short handle and tiny knob does make it difficult to REELY crank on this reel, so I fixed it!!!   Or actually, Lee did!!!

I purchased a Daiwa Powerhandle from Alan, sent it to Lee to mill out some material making it easier to screw down the lock nut,

Check out this post!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4609.msg35766#msg35766

Added a 3/0 handle, and it is a great salmon reel, when the salmon are running.

Can't wait to try out the 27SH!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Ruffy

I would love it if someone would make a decent sized handle blade for these, either counterbalanced or not like the larger 300H etc. Would be up for three in a heartbeat!

Cheers,
Andrew

Gfish

Cool. Lee did a good job!
I had a Penn power handle for the 30SH. Reamed out the 98-60 sized hole so it'ed fit the Daiwa's gear sleeve. Worked great but I couldn't stand not having that perfect fitting nut cover, so I went back to the Dawia blade and added a big ball knob. Just too short, though. Especially with the 5:1 retrieve speed. Agree with Ruffy.
Diawa made a power handle?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ruffy

No they didn't Gfish. Problem is the hole is in an odd metric size, I've never seen it used on any other reel. Would be nice for someone just to cut a few SS blades that would take the original nut and cover, the handle is the one downfall of these reels!

alantani

it's 5x8mm, the same as my tld 15 handle arm.  it's just that the screw for the cap is in a different position for daiwa and shimano.  i have never been able to find a shimano cap that was tall enough to cover the daiwa handle nut. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ruffy

Quote from: alantani on May 20, 2021, 06:24:06 PM
it's 5x8mm, the same as my tld 15 handle arm.  it's just that the screw for the cap is in a different position for daiwa and shimano.  i have never been able to find a shimano cap that was tall enough to cover the daiwa handle nut. 

Hi Alan,
On the SMF170/SMF170H/30H/30HS the handle is 9x7mm, in no mans land as far as I could ever see. I tried to start a thread which could be used as a compendium for handle sizes, allowing people to easily identify and swap handles, but it never took off (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24435.msg273306#msg273306).

If you ever find anything that would fit these sealines then I am all ears! I could file a TLD handle out and I think others have done this in the past, but I worry about leaving too much slop and rounding the gear sleeve, so I just stick with the original.

Interestingly I have noted the handle on the high speed versions (SMF170H and 30SH) is a shade longer then that of the non-high speed versions (SMF170 and 30H) and less of a pain in the butt.

Cheers,
Andrew