Main Menu

10' Suzuki special

Started by JasonGotaProblem, May 07, 2021, 01:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 02, 2023, 02:37:48 AMI'll take some pics tomorrow, but a part of me almost doesn't want to. This was one of my early builds and frankly I wanna strip it down and start over. Guide placement is good, my wraps look like absolute crap. This is by far the fanciest blank I've built on and I'm almost embarrassed to use it.

But re: the blank itself it's fun to fish with but I wish I'd gotten the stiffer 9'6" version. That 2oz lure rating is a hard limit. Above that casting distance really starts dropping. But its really sensitive and crazy light weight.

I understand what you saying about "how we look our early builds" I see that on my early builds too LOL so, no problem if you feel like better not showing it, my only reason was to check how you built it since I always feel attracted to this blank but never went for it cuz there is not much action on my beaches and I already have some long and light rods for the fun of it and some proper surf rods that I dont use that much.

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

This one just got re-finished. A part of me feels like this is what tattoo artists who do cover up work go through. I pulled the poorly glued on space picture, stripped all the guides, and wrapped on new ones. And dang it I think I did a better job of it.

I did a terrible job on the transition between rear grip and reel seat the first time round. But nah, that's just a happy little trim band now.

I used a fuji KLH20 just under the split between top and bottom sections, then did a 12H an 8H and a 7L then 4 KT6. Still have the titanium tip that I got on crazy discount. But I moved it an inch down, it was loose before.

Gonna try to test it this weekend at my company Christmas party at the beach. A few of us are bringing rods. I just plan to cast farther.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jtwill98

I would like to see more pictures of your rod build wrapper tools.  I see what looks lie a hand made wooden roller contraption...

Cor

I have built 2 BH rods that I use exclusivly for Yellowtail
  • Black Hole USA Striped Bass Special Surf Blanks 10'' 1-6oz
and
  • Black Hole USA Striped Bass Special Surf Blanks 10'' 2-8oz
When I built the 1st one I was sure it was to light for Yellowtail from shore, so I built it to cast with the strong side.

The first time I fished it I caught 7 Yellowtail, one of about 14 lb the rest a bit smaller and lifted all from the water.   I could comfortably cast 60 to 85 gram (2 - 3 oz)  lures, the weight of the lured had a marginal effect on cast distance.   I absolutely loved this rod It was very light, easy to cast and it pulled Yellowtail very well for its rating.
The next day it got stolen and I could not obtain another similar blank so bought the heavier model.    The heavier one is a better all round Yellowtail rod but I still want another light one.

I never understood how they can build a rod with such a wide casting weight range as 1 - 6 oz,  6 oz is to me a very heavy weight.   Both the rods listed are very happy with a just over 2 oz casting weight.
Cornelis

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 06, 2023, 05:42:15 AMI used a fuji KLH20 just under the split between top and bottom sections, then did a 12H an 8H and a 7L then 4 KT6. Still have the titanium tip that I got on crazy discount. But I moved it an inch down, it was loose before.

so, you went from 11 +tip guides to 8 +tip configuration?

seems like a more natural guide train setup for a 10ft surf rod, how do you like it this way compared to the way it was before?
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on December 06, 2023, 08:03:47 PMso, you went from 11 +tip guides to 8 +tip configuration?

seems like a more natural guide train setup for a 10ft surf rod, how do you like it this way compared to the way it was before?
Correct. I think I laid the last one out like a 7' inshore and wondered why it didn't cast like a surf rod. This time i laid it out like a surf rod.

Ill tell you in a few days how it does. I haven't done any test casting yet I do all my guide placement testing (on spinners) by rapidly stripping line off using a drill and a big spool. I was shocked by how well it flowed. I hope that translates to good casts. I'll find out soon enough.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.