Rubber O-ring, Electrical Connector & Vaseline

Started by Gobi King, November 09, 2020, 04:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I have a water pump with a rubber impeller.  Directions that came with the pump say to coat the impeller with Vaseline.  After burning out the impeller twice (it fell apart,) I started to use silicon grease.  Years later, the impeller is still going. 

My go-to light lube for metal fishing rod ferrules and o-ring gaskets is nose oil.  Rub it against the side of your nose - works great  ;D

foakes

SuperLube works great —

If your not putting it in your mouth — why do you need food grade?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gobi King on November 10, 2020, 05:24:25 PM
John, got it, posted it here.

Steve - MSDS, good point,

Wompus - I read the msds on 3m spray silicon - not good for skin contact

Keith - superlube, I will check if my local stores have a food grade grease.

thor - yes, I have no idea what the orings are made of.

The search is now for PURE/food grade silicone grease. Vaseline is out as it attacks rubber, I just read that.

I am pretty sure I have sil-glide silicone lube downstairs. let me grab that and read the warnings.

Nothing  in that list is much good for skin contact or ingesting,or Breathing the vapors .

Sil- Glide is very good for things yep I use it on drive shaft couplings and steering gear knuckles(keeps the popping noise away) but the Spray from 3M will keep your  snow shovel from ice sticking on it also locks,door locks on cars, Weather strips on all doors  keeps vinyl dashes alive for ever,rubber trim , windshield wiper blades ,garage door guides,sliding glass doors,any rubber trim ,squeaks in dashes /leather,belts,hoses,. Shoes,
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers and more .
GOBS Gobi,,,,,,,  just GOBS  of uses .
Did I mention it is Good Stuff?

Ya don't want to spray it near anything you are going to paint as it will crinkle the heck out of it or light a match to it ...lol

P/M your addy and I will send you a can on me.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Decker on November 10, 2020, 05:56:35 PM
I have a water pump with a rubber impeller.  Directions that came with the pump say to coat the impeller with Vaseline.  After burning out the impeller twice (it fell apart,) I started to use silicon grease.  Years later, the impeller is still going. 

My go-to light lube for metal fishing rod ferrules and o-ring gaskets is nose oil.  Rub it against the side of your nose - works great  ;D

I use the Sil Glide on my boat water pumps and ZERO Failure for many years .
Tha nose oil makes my line stick to the rod or maybe it is Snot ? I dunno I am kinda bass ackwards as my nose runs and my feets smell.

jurelometer

One note about silicone grease:  strange as it may seem, silicone grease is not compatible with silicone rubber.

Silicone is a bit uncommon material for o-rings, but it is out there.

Here is the food grade o-ring specific product from Superlube:
https://www.super-lube.com/o-ring-silicone-grease

And the comparability chart:

https://www.super-lube.com/Content/Images/uploaded/documents/Compatability%20Charts/Super%20Lube%20Silicone%20O-Ring%20Grease.pdf

I think that this blend (also food safe) might also work with o-rings, and can also be used fore a reel grease (this is what Todd uses on reels):

https://www.super-lube.com/silicone-lubricating-grease-with-syncolon-ptfe

I bought a tub of it for a good price on that evil web commerce site named after a river in South America.

Also agree that food safe is always a good idea when it is an option.   Many dangerous compounds bio-accumulate, meaning that they build up over time in live tissue, so the less nasty or unknown toxicity chemicals in your life, the better.   Plus I was able to use the same grease to fix the hinges on my oven.   With its high dropping temp and PTFE (AKA Teflon) additive, it might also be a candidate for drag grease.

-J

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Fred,
my girls have a habit of biting their nail, kinda a nervous habit,

for the stuff that they might open like the flash lights, water tight boat boxes etc I want an ALL rounder grease.

Wompus, pm inbound, thanks!

Jurelo - that compatibility chart is interesting. I have no idea what the orings are made of in different items I have.

lol, I wonder if it could be amazing amazon ;-)

biggest shocker here was:
1. Vaseline is NOT good for rubber stuff
2. Silicone grease is NOT compatible with silicone rubber.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

If you want an in depth look at lubricants and 'rubbers':

https://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm?SM=none&SC=Silicone%20Grease

I've re-building some pcp airguns recently (lots of o rings)- the best news I got was I'm probably already uding the best grease - pure synthetic with PTFE ;D

Donnyboat

Lanalon grease is food safe, not sure about mixing with rubber, it is from sheep wool, there is a company in Queensland, Australia, that sell is, if you google lanalon, they maybe able to inform you if they have completed tests with rubber, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 10, 2020, 12:46:22 PM
I have used this for over 40 years on plastic,Rubber, Vinyl, and more .
3M Wet type spray silicone !
Good stuff .

ly.

WOMPUS!!!!

Why the Wet Silicone vs the Dry Silicon???

Let us know please,

Thanks.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Jenx

I saw mention of food-grade lubricants.

I use to do a lot of homebrewing back in the day. They sell a food-grade lubricant that is used on the o-rings of kegs.

Search for "Keg Lube" on Amazon.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: El Pescador on May 11, 2021, 08:26:51 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on November 10, 2020, 12:46:22 PM
I have used this for over 40 years on plastic,Rubber, Vinyl, and more .
3M Wet type spray silicone !
Good stuff .

ly.

WOMPUS!!!!

Why the Wet Silicone vs the Dry Silicon???

Let us know please,

Thanks.

Wayne

Wet Type  Penetrates the Rubber,Vinyl ,Leather , etc .
Dry sprays are suitable for working on more sensitive equipment because the mist evaporates quickly and leaves behind a protective film. ..............
If you use the 3M wet  type silicone on your Vinyl Dashes ,door panels,any Rubber on your car  it will last indefinitely.
if you want stuff to  harden and crack I recommend Armour All.

thorhammer

Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2020, 06:00:34 PM
SuperLube works great —

If your not putting it in your mouth — why do you need food grade?

Best, Fred

Hey Fred, I think I'm the one that brought up food grade- he probably doesn't require it, but he asked for "safe", and OTC  process engineering is part of what I do in my professional life, so my input was based on that.

philaroman

pretty sure there's a more-$$$, food-grade SuperLube
for blender/processor/grinder gaskets & such
can't taste much worse than cold lard  ;D

bluefish69

Raid the pantry & put Crisco on it. We use Crisco on the rubber gaskets on N.Y.C. water mains for years. Never had a problem with Lab. Tests.

Mike

I've been a Plumber since '63
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.