Mo's 112H Sleeper

Started by mo65, May 27, 2021, 01:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

You can spend hundreds tricking out a 112H, but in these "challenging times" the most challenged thing around here is my wallet! I wanted a hotrod 112H, but needed to keep the cost down, so I left the framework alone this time, just concentrating on the drivetrain strength.
  I've been wanting to try the Pro Challenger gear set for ages...they finally came back in stock...so I ordered. With the added drag power, I also thought double anti-reverse dogs should be used. I guess I'm old school...I like the dogs on the bridge screws better than the aftermarket DD bridges...so I'll be cuttin' and grindin' again! ;D
  The 112H I started with had some outside corrosion as seen in this first photo. Seeing that, plus the phillips head screws in the sideplate, I feared the inside might be a real mess.

After removing the line from the spool, I was pleased to see it was very clean, no corrosion here.

Wow...the inside is clean as a pin...that's a relief.

Vinegar to the rescue again! That corrosion is history.

I found some of the correct screws in my parts stash.

For the second AR dog, I tried a #15-60 and it was just a bit too long for simultaneous dog engagement. After a bit of length was removed it worked just fine.

Now it's surgery time, a Dremel tool and a few shots of Beam is all you'll need. :D

Make the second and third cuts with that same cutoff wheel.

I like to finish shaping the "dog shelf" with a stone tip.

Now cut the dog spring slot. Some folks expressed concern about the flat spring "walking" down the dog. The little "hook" at the top should eliminate any fears.

The new dog and spring in place.

These Pro Challenger gears are very nice...and mesh fantastic...smooth as stock gears.

These drags look cool, all are eared to the gear, while all metals are keyed to the sleeve. More working surfaces than a stock 3-stack means more power.

I added a #24-56 handle and a #10-66 drag star, so I ended up with a nice 112H handle(which works great on a squidder), a set of stock drags, gears, and star for the parts bin. Can't wait to see how it fishes! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Nice! Great pictures as always. I'mina have'ta borrow your hooked dog spring mod. That's a great idea. Also, gonna look for a screwdriver like that "pickquick stubby".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Love seeing your work, Mo!   Fresh or saltwater fishing for that reel?

Donnyboat

Looks great Mike, I was the some folk, that was concerned about the flat dog spring walking, you solved the problem, great idea, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on May 27, 2021, 02:25:43 PM
Nice! Great pictures as always. I'mina have'ta borrow your hooked dog spring mod. That's a great idea. Also, gonna look for a screwdriver like that "pickquick stubby".

Thanks G. Those Picquics are great for the price...I use 'em a lot.

Quote from: Donnyboat on May 27, 2021, 02:47:39 PM
Looks great Mike, I was the some folk, that was concerned about the flat dog spring walking, you solved the problem, great idea, cheers Don.

Thanks Don. The "hook" is the way to go...but just for the record...I've still had no problem with the flat ones walking.

Quote from: Decker on May 27, 2021, 02:29:58 PM
Love seeing your work, Mo!   Fresh or saltwater fishing for that reel?

Thanks Decker. I'm going to catfish it...on a Penn Senator 4/0 rod...but it could certainly find itself on a headboat some day!

foakes

Really good work, Mo!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

Nice build Mo & great photos. Really beefed it up. Why no s/s gear sleeve & dogs?      Rudy

Hardy Boy

That "hook" is a great idea !! I see that being added to some of mine when they get opened up.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on May 27, 2021, 05:01:50 PM
Nice build Mo & great photos. Really beefed it up. Why no s/s gear sleeve & dogs?      Rudy

Thanks Rudy. The stainless dogs are so hard to find...and to be honest...for my fishing the brass works just fine. I haven't worn any out yet. The lack of a stainless gear sleeve was just a way to keep the cost down. I used a NOS brass sleeve, and have extras, so if I ever damage one I'll have a replacement.

Wompus Cat

Really nice and Clean cutting .Gonna be hard to Beat a Rig like that . Good work Mr. Mo and thanks for the pix.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

steelfish

you make it look easy to do amigo!

I've always liked your extremely clear and focused pictures, all my years working on reels I have always worked on them by night with the light of the lamp so, I might try to work with daylight for a chance to see if I can see the small parts easier LOL, yep but that will have to wait till my retirement, still long way to walk ::) :-\
The Baja Guy

sciaenops

That's some dandy looking work there, and a clean looking end product.  Happy to test er out for you on some SoCal saltwater species, lol.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Rocket Dog

Great job Mo. I have a few of these that I have been debating on getting done.... As always being a member here doesn't disappoint!