identify piece from an old 115 9/0

Started by GT, May 21, 2021, 07:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

Hi everyone,

I lost both the spring and the screw (if can call it a screw) in the pictures attached:

I found the schematics here:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/115l.pdf

But i cannot indentify the right part since I do not understand how to get which version of the reel I own.

Can this detail help?

Thanks a lot!

L.

Gfish

Check the other(gear or handle-side) plate. The older reel will have a small diameter screw-in bearing. The newer reel will have a flat cylinder-like bearing that pushes in from the inside of the plate. On the tail-plate in your picture, older reel takes the 40 - 114H bearing and the newer 9/0 takes the 40 -114HL bearing.
Not familiar with the 115, 9/0 Senator, but I think the different parts for the older vs newer reels has to do with bushings vs ballbearings. Penn may be calling bushings and ballbearings both; "bearings".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Call Mystic, tell them your reel has part numbers stamped (post 1951) they'll be able to walk you through whether you need an old style bushing or ball bearings for the tail-plate.  King of the cowboys when it comes to Penn.  You talk about a threaded cap and spring, thats a bushing, I don't know if that is from your experience working on the reel and loosing the parts, as we all do, or from looking at the schematic
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Had to check it out in the Mystic parts list. As always, more complicated for the head-plate(handle side) than needs to be, with 2 diffrent size ballbearing cups possible, but you're talkin bout the tail-plate side. Reason I mention it is that the ballbearings in Senators tend to be corroded and "rough" in older reels and expensive to buy. For me, problematic to remove without wrecking the cup.
Your tail-plate looks from the ribbed margin like it takes a ballbearing cup. I love older reels, but I'm starting to hate ballbearings in them. Bushings take less maintenance, are cheaper and function as well, IMO.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

1badf350

It looks like the end of the spool shaft and clicker wheel. Your tail plate bearing looks to be removed. I think the bearing you need is 40-114H
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Bill B

GT can you post a picture of the handle side?  That will give us the best clue of what you need.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

GT

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on May 22, 2021, 05:06:52 PM
GT can you post a picture of the handle side?  That will give us the best clue of what you need.....Bill

Sure!! Thank you very much guys! (I am italian, so I am struggling with understanding the different terms you sue to relate to reel parts...)

Shark Hunter

Looks like an older model bushing reel.
That part won't be available.
Take some more pictures of the reel.
I might have it.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

As 1bad350 said I would go with the 40-114h bearing assembly. The photo of the right plate shows a ball bearing style reel. I'm figuring the earlier style ball bearing assembly. Contact Mystic for Penn parts. It's about $19.00 US + shipping. They ship worldwide.      Rudy

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!