WRL 191S OIL

Started by foakes, February 28, 2014, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

With the absolute wealth of knowledge on this Board ranging from pros in the business for years -- to folks just getting started in servicing their own fishing reels -- it seems as if every topic has been covered at some point.  And the discussions are intelligent and friendly -- with the motive being to help each other out with the love of our craft.

For a lot of us on Alan's Board  (with the great help of the moderators) -- we possibly know around 95% of what we need to know to work on fishing reels professionally & competently.

I know I feel that the other 5% that I do not know yet -- is the nugget that I try and strive to learn each day.  I am sure many of us feel the same way.

I have learned much from the experts on this Board -- and am very appreciative of the members.

One thing for me to remember -- is that there are many ways to approach a job or problem -- not just "my" way.  And not just one solution will work for everyone -- depending on how they will use their reels.

Seldom has something not been covered on this Board -- but here is one that has worked well for me for 10+ years --

I have used many oils for reels over the last 30+ years of servicing tackle -- the best I have found is a product called WRL 191S.

A gallon lasts me about 3 years -- and I am on my third gallon since I started using it.

It is slightly thicker and milkier than normal reel oil, synthetic, water and salt water resistant, able to hold up to extreme temps, and will not get gummy or set up after a few years of non-use.  I use it with a micro needle bottle.  Non-Petroleum, biodegradable, safe, non-flammable.

A gallon is between $47.00 to $85.00 -- depending on where you get it from.

It is used extensively in the railroad industry, emergency services, military, as well as being tested by NASA for their use (it has supposedly passed 2 of the 3 major tests to be put to use full time by NASA).

I have used it exclusively on thousands of reel jobs -- springs, level winds, handles, knobs, any exterior moving parts, some interior where grease is not a good idea, shafts, spools, and sometimes bearings.

I have nothing to do with the company -- just wanted to share.

It just works very well.

Best,

Fred

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2169_zpsf98d027e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2168_zps8cdd0c00.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/100_2167_zps2c71e3de.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

ffred, if you copy and past the img code, your photos will show up in your post!  nice photos.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Thanks, Alan --

I'll try that next time.

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DaBigOno

Thanks for sharing Fred. 

Where can we find a gallon of this stuff??  I like that it's biodegradable and non- toxic.    :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

foakes

http://www.shamrocksupply.com/itemDetailFilterPH.action;jsessionid=8CF762AAB4FFB18BE8DF5B1FCC5E4398?MID=15111&kwd=&RFP=MP&IDP=Y&codeId=10675360

http://www.akama.com/company/Manufacturers_Warehouse_Inc_a579e3295884.html

I paid $85.00 a gallon for it in the early 2000's (for how good it works -- that was still a bargain in my opinion).  This was when they just started selling it to the Railroads -- and it was only available in 55 gallon drums -- the local distributor, who I had met through some other venue, sold me a gallon for $85.00.

The two first places I found are the one I used in Clovis, and one called Shamrock (theirs is additionaly labeled "606" after the WRL 191S -- not sure if this is the same or not).

On line, there are a few places carrying it -- maybe Dawn would want to distribute it in smaller quantities -- or it may be more trouble than it is worth to her.

Anyway -- if some of you try it out -- let us know if it works for you or not.

Thanks,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PacRat

Fred,
I see Jaymor's 191S is now available in aerosol. Do you think this might be a good solution for those of us requiring a smaller quantity? I also see the price of a gallon is a little more than $50 now so I'm on the bubble as to whether or not I need a full gallon.

If there are any members in southern California that would like to split a gallon; PM me and we can split it up to 5 ways.

-Mike

foakes

I have never used the aerosol, Mike —

It might be OK — but I prefer a small tub of oil with a cut off flux brush — and a pinpoint needle oiler.

Otherwise, too much oil in the wrong places — and too much waste.

A drop of oil in the exact right place is 10X better than a spray of oil all over the place, IMO.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

Thanks Fred.
I'm in agreement with 'one small drop'. I was thinking of purchasing the aerosol, then emptying it into a different container but I'm thinking the viscosity may be lighter for aerosol use.

-Mike

smnaguwa

How does WRL 191s compare with Boeshield T-9?

foakes

Quote from: smnaguwa on August 12, 2021, 01:19:58 PM
How does WRL 191s compare with Boeshield T-9?[/ quote]

That is a good question —  never needed to try much else after using WRL191S — because it serves my purposes very well for effectiveness, function, smoothness, staying ability, ease of application & wash out when servicing — at a very affordable value when bought by the gallon.

Nearly any lubricant will do the job it was designed for well.

When I find something that works well — that is good enough for me.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

I spoke to Jerry at Jaymor. He speaks very highly of Fred (who doesn't?). He told me that the formulation/viscosity in the aerosol cans is exactly the same as the gallon jug. It should arrive on my porch today.

-Mike