Bass boat seat in a sit-in kayak

Started by JasonGotaProblem, July 22, 2021, 03:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Shouldnt be that heavy, not much foam.

But yeah I went and did it. I used big ol SS washers on either side of the hull with a ton of pc7 in between. When I tightened it down it went out the sides so I just spread that around. I may paint it blue if I decide I care. I have every reason to hope this'll be water tight.

And it's almost centered.

Let's ignore the garage background. Its pretty rough.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

You do not want to sit higher than what the boat was designed for.  A couple inches of more height will make the boat noticably more tippy.  Your stroke will be completely different too.  You will either change the angle of attack or require a longer paddle.

I don't like kayaks in general because I'm not comfortable paddleing with my legs outstretched with heels at almost the same height as my butt.  A one-man outrigger canoe will put your heels about eight to ten inches below your butt and they are designed to be paddled with you knees bent and a more upright stroke.  That lets you throw you whole torso and the large muscels of the back into the stroke so you're not just paddling with your arms.

Gfish

Don't have the guts to drill through the bottom of my Hobie. I do however, end up with about 1/2 a gallon of seawater in it at the end of most trips. Depends on the sea conditions. Person in the back with that nice comfortable seat should do the paddling.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oc1 on August 19, 2022, 05:51:12 AMYou do not want to sit higher than what the boat was designed for.  A couple inches of more height will make the boat noticably more tippy.  Your stroke will be completely different too.  You will either change the angle of attack or require a longer paddle.

I don't like kayaks in general because I'm not comfortable paddleing with my legs outstretched with heels at almost the same height as my butt.  A one-man outrigger canoe will put your heels about eight to ten inches below your butt and they are designed to be paddled with you knees bent and a more upright stroke.  That lets you throw you whole torso and the large muscels of the back into the stroke so you're not just paddling with your arms.

Yeah i was hesitant to raise the seat too much, which is a benefit of the way I mounted it to the floor. I know from my other yak that if I raise my knees up I immediately feel the massive stability difference.

My butt sits about 2" off the floor as installed. There's a stack of SS washers between the seat and the hull providing about a half inch of space between the bottom of the seat and the hull so any water that gets in can move back and forth and not get stopped at the seat.

Suspect this will be used with my wife and kid as passenger, or taking inexperienced folks out on the water. Either scenario will see me doing most the paddling. At least i have a comfy seat. Gonna test the seal tomorrow if I can. Maybe get my neighbor to go out on a nearby lake for a trial run.

oldmanjoe

I will say that going solo in a tandem is not a fun ride , you do need forward weight
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

Gregg,do you trust that 1st yak with sharks under you... 8)

Gfish

Ha🤪! No, the Sharks are prolly mostly waiting for bait or the fisherman to bring-up a nice one they can get 1/2 of. You never know though. On that unstable thing, I hadda drape a leg over either side while casting. They "seem" to be able to tell when a boat is fishing rather than sport-paddling, and sometimes come around me when I'm out early and by myself. If the snorkelers, divers and surfers only knew... I only use it now to follow along with people I have using the Hobie. Gotta look-out for tip-overs and people forgetting to pull-up the rudder or peddles when they come in.

Jason, any updates on your yak?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

Thank you for reviving this thread.

This is where the kayak has lived since I put the seat in. I haven't tested the seal yet. The opportunity to use a kayak is rare and has always been spent using the other one that I know works well.

I need to change that.