ISO Shimano Sustain 4000FD Parts

Started by tarpon one, August 06, 2021, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon one

I need to replace the Pinion Gear(RD 7935) and Drive Gear(RD 7946) for a Shimano Sustain 4000 FD. I have contacted Shimano and these parts have been discontinued. I also contacted Nutter Rod & Reel, Southwestern Parts, Haddrels Point, eReplacements, Mikes, Old Dads and a couple other places. Any other suggestions where I might be able to purchase these parts? Thanks

Rancanfish

No, but I wonder if gears out of another model might work?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

tarpon one

Quote from: Rancanfish on August 06, 2021, 11:46:36 PM
No, but I wonder if gears out of another model might work?
Some of the parts on Sustain are interchangeable with Stella and others with Stradic but that is not the case with these gears. I'm hoping that some repair facility somewhere has these parts on the shelf in inventory but I don't know where else to call.

philaroman

I have a "Catch22/Schrödinger's" no-handle Sustain 5000FD (same body)
gears MAY be good -- when turning rotor by hand, feels very slow/sluggish/stiff, but not rough/geary
can't open gearbox -- frozen screw; don't want to get aggressive w/ that screw,
until I have a dead 4000/5000FD for spare parts & unobtanium/overchargium handle
patiently waiting for guys like YOU, to just give up & trade down (hint, hint)

tarpon one

Quote from: philaroman on August 07, 2021, 10:45:35 AM

I have a "Catch22/Schrödinger's" no-handle Sustain 5000FD (same body)
gears MAY be good -- when turning rotor by hand, feels very slow/sluggish/stiff, but not rough/geary
can't open gearbox -- frozen screw; don't want to get aggressive w/ that screw,
until I have a dead 4000/5000FD for spare parts & unobtanium/overchargium handle
patiently waiting for guys like YOU, to just give up & trade down (hint, hint)
My 4000FD is actually in very nice condition just can feel that the gears are a little rough. Most guys wouldn't even notice it but I have been cursed with the "perfection" gene. I just purchased a BNIB 4000FD on eBay and IMO they are incredibly smooth. If you need the rubber handle the handle from a Stella works perfectly and they are available at eReplacements for $22. It is identical to the OEM. I can get you the part number if you need it. I have a search saved on eBay for these reels but even beat up ones are selling for $150.

philaroman

thanks, I need complete handle assembly --
nothing else uses that screw except concurrent TwinPower
maybe, some other obscure JDM or concurrent Stella, as well
paid <$60 for reel -- not payin' $100+ for handle...  no rush
have 3 nice SustainFA/TwinPowerXT to use while I wait 'em out

tarpon one

OK - Good News. I've managed to locate a new pinion and drive gear for my Sustain 4000FD. I think they might be the last pair in the country. So here's my question, the schematic shows two spacers between the drive gear and the support bearing. My reel only had one installed. I have additional spacers on hand. How do I know how many to install? I assume if I install too many the gears will start to bind. Is this just a feel thing or is less better? I don't want to cause damage to the these gears that I worked so hard to find.

philaroman

w/ older, cheaper Shimano, shims on schematic means "presence of shims at that location"
how many were actually factory-installed & how many you need now is a variable
I'm no good at it...  cringing trial/error...  get "how" advice from someone better

EDIT: then again, Stella EDIT: SUSTAIN is more high-end/precise
maybe a shim slipped away during prior service (they like to do that)
and that's why your main started wearing more quickly

tarpon one

Ironically I just purchased a BNIB Sustain 4000 FD on eBay that has never even had line on it. I'll open it up and see exactly how many shims were installed from the factory. No doubt the gears on my original Sustain wore out from excessive use and cranking on hundreds of fish. That handle has been rotated hundreds of thousands of times, maybe more.

philaroman

SO YOU'RE SAYIN' YOU DON'T NEED BOTH HANDLES, RIGHT  ;) ;) ;)

IMO, the multipart Sustain/Stella spools are a S/W nightmare for DIY service
keep an eye out for the simpler one-AL-hunk Stradic 4000FH spools
definitely compatible w/ Sustain 4000FD rotor...  not 100% on drag knob

tarpon one

Quote from: philaroman on August 13, 2021, 01:20:42 AM
SO YOU'RE SAYIN' YOU DON'T NEED BOTH HANDLES, RIGHT  ;) ;) ;)

IMO, the multipart Sustain/Stella spools are a S/W nightmare for DIY service
keep an eye out for the simpler one-AL-hunk Stradic 4000FH spools
definitely compatible w/ Sustain 4000FD rotor...  not 100% on drag knob
LOL can't remember where I said that. Actually when I fish inshore I always take four rods prerigged for various applications. Maybe one freelined, one with 1/2 ounce weight, one 3/4 etc. My plan is to use both Sustains so unfortunately I will need both handles. There is a guy on eBay that goes by jdtreasures that sells a bunch of used reel parts. I'll check his store. Also a guy in FL that repairs reels. Rick's Reel Repair you might want to contact him. And finally I just saw a beat up Sustain 4000 on eBay listed at $90 that didn't even get an opening bid. Someone like that might reduce the price and sell as a parts reel. Just a few thoughts.

tarpon one

Good news and bad news.
Good News:
I found a brand new OEM handle on eBay. Guy says he has three of them.
Bad News:
$82.50 and it's coming from Singapore. But has free shipping.
I don't suspect you are reaching for your credit card so I'll keep checking.

philaroman

oh buddy, don't bother...  wouldn't even pay "fair" -- lookin' for IMPOSSIBLE dirt-cheap handle,
or HIGHLY UNLIKELY extra-good deal on complete reel w/ many issues not shared by mine
actually, overloaded on earlier stuff & have very little from overpriced/over-popular SustainFD/StradicFH platform
WANT OUT!!!  as mentioned, 99+% sure that our reels use same body & I'm <$60 in
consider YOUR interest in optional complete 5000 rotor/spool (noticeably bigger capacity, prob. same drag-well)
if I know you want that, at least, I'll be happy to reclassify ::) the reel from "missing handle" to "pile of parts"
THEN, I'll kill the frozen screw & find out what else is good inside that you may want
should have some more universal Shimano stuff, like line-roller bearings, as well