Bumper moulding - vinyl ?

Started by Gobi King, August 19, 2021, 01:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I have a little sail boat that badly needed some rehab.

My buddy John towed it to his house to work on it.
He took off the foam bumper moulding and we are trying to figure out what rubber/ vinyl bumper moulding we can use.

This boat sits outside 365 days of the year.

I found this, https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-boat-bumper-molding-232776-semi-rigid-black-vinyl-1-inch-ft

Kinda pricey for my ramen budget!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Wompus Cat

That looks more like a Coffin with a Nose Job Gobi .....lol

But if you just want something for Cosmetics just get some 1 x 2's and finish them or paint then Glue them on the edges . ANY kind of Trim is Stoopid Priced these Days.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gobi King

yeah it does, the trailer is even worse, the previous owner spray painted the galvanized trailer and it is peeling back.

I want to go with rubber/vinyl.

Wood looks really crappy after a year in the sun, plus I want to use 3M foam tape to attach the bumper
Fichigan

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gobi King on August 19, 2021, 02:49:49 PM
yeah it does, the trailer is even worse, the previous owner spray painted the galvanized trailer and it is peeling back.

I want to go with rubber/vinyl.

Wood looks really crappy after a year in the sun, plus I want to use 3M foam tape to attach the bumper

Looks like you are getting ready to spend over 5 C-Notes for trim  ::)

use Tongue oil on the wood and it will last a long time at least it did on my old 69 Chris Craft Super Sport.

They make stick on trim in different widths for Automotive use however they are not very thick and again NOT CHEAP.

Here is some stuff from ZORO that MIGHT work for ya .It is about 40 bucks for 25 ft.

3/4  Trim at ZORO

Gobi King

Danke Herr Kat,

Each side is 16 ft long so I will need 2x25ft
OUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH

Fichigan

foakes

Find something that is made for cars and trucks —

Anytime a product is for marine, RV, or aviation use — even though it is the same as automotive use — the price generally triples.

I have installed literally thousands of door trim molding on vehicles since 1971.  We would use aluminum channel that a colored and tough insert locks into — attached with pop-rivets.  Or adhesive backed flex moldings that are quick, attractive, tough, and any color you want.

There are hundreds of these products available in bulk — at very reasonable prices.

A boat bumper needs to be tough, durable, and withstand moisture and weather. 

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Well look through thier inventory as they may have a 50 foot roll .
I bought  a lot of stuff from them over the years but always do a price check via the part number on Google  as SOMETIMES you can do even better elsewhere (Not Always but on occasion).