Pawl Removal - Help!

Started by nelz, August 19, 2021, 09:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just can't seem to figure out how to remove the pawl on this Symetre 2000 spinner. I removed the little cover that exposes what you see in the photo. I think it's supposed to just slide out (like on a baitcaster) but it doesn't. There's no corrosion freezing it up.  ??? The reel's toast if I can't replace the pawl!

philaroman

if memory serves correctly, it falls out the other side after removing O-block
is yours already unscrewed, or did someone manage to install screw from other side?
now THAT could be a problem -- might have to kill/replace screw

remove the pinion -- hopefully, that should provide enough wiggle room,
to take out the spool shaft + O-block, as a unit & figure out if screw is reversed

Wolli

Which model is it?
Shimano has built various 2000 models.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

philaroman

BTW, that's really early F/FA design where the oscillation system rides on a "rail"
that's part of the frame (not 2-3 steel support posts, like later more expensive reels)
the head of a reversed screw rubbing on that rail, may be the only thing that's wrong

on the other hand, if the reel was operated that way, pawl and/or worm may be toast
and need MAGNIFIED inspection...  more on that here, from ReelClean:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=33676.msg396365#msg396365

nelz

Quote from: philaroman on August 19, 2021, 10:18:26 PMif memory serves correctly, it falls out the other side after removing O-block, is yours already unscrewed, or did someone manage to install screw from other side?
now THAT could be a problem -- might have to kill/replace screw

Oh $#%&* the block sure is screwed in from the other side! Even with the pinion removed there's no way to get a screwdriver in there. I can see the screw head, it's not broken. How the heck did that happen???

Wolli, I believe it's a FB model, very old like Phil said.

nelz

Actually, I just looked at the schematic, the block comes from the factory screwed in from the other side. Shimano, it figures.  ::)

boon

Can't you just flip the shaft over? I've worked on a couple like that.

EDIT: Remove pinion, see if you can remove the bushing that it looks like it rides on in the frame (tail of the pinion possibly sits in this) which should get you enough angle/room to rotate the shaft 180 degrees.

nelz

Quote from: boon on August 20, 2021, 12:57:55 AM
Can't you just flip the shaft over? I've worked on a couple like that.

EDIT: Remove pinion, see if you can remove the bushing that it looks like it rides on in the frame (tail of the pinion possibly sits in this) which should get you enough angle/room to rotate the shaft 180 degrees.

The shaft's not going to rotate unless I can remove the worm shaft, and I can't see a way to do that with the pawl in it.

Btw, is the pinion held in by the bearing or is that bushing holding it in? It just won't budge.

philaroman

that RD-3481 "bushing" is a thin, bendy nylon liner
removing it gives a bit more wiggle room, but not much

remove EVERYTHING from the top; shaft+block come out as a unit, through the side & down
DO NOT try to separate them, until completely out of the reel

nelz

Quote from: philaroman on August 20, 2021, 01:51:41 AMremove EVERYTHING from the top; shaft+block come out as a unit, through the side & down

How?   ???

I've never been stumped by a reel, this is a first.  >:( >:(

Wompus Cat

Does the Pawl Move at All ???  either a little side to side or up and down as it would have to or it would lock up or only work a few hundred times before it wore past the engagement area on the shaft    I would think .
If  you have some small Needle nose plier or Vise grip that size to lock on it and try gently to budge it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on August 20, 2021, 01:35:46 AM
Btw, is the pinion held in by the bearing or is that bushing holding it in? It just won't budge.

are you saying your pinion bearing is frozen to the frame?  (very common in S/W)
no other options -- MUST get it out!!!  oils, solvents, heat/cold, prayer...  whatever works
NOTE: pretty sure acetone is safe for the graphite frame, but I think yours has plastic inlays
(purely cosmetic/non-structural) that will promptly dissolve along w/ any paint

nelz

Got it!  It turned out to be the corroded pinion ball bearing that was almost welded onto the frame, stopping the pinion gear from sliding out. It took good ol' brute force to get it out, solvents didn't help at all. I never imagined that metal could stick to plastic so tightly. Anyway, once that was out everything else came apart. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Now... to tackle that old-school jig-saw puzzle of an anti reverse and its teeny-tiny springs. That's for tomorrow, my hands cramped up very badly after what I went through pulling out that dang bearing!

johndtuttle

Nice. Was gonna say remove the pinion but you figured it out.

Yea, they don't make most modern spinning reels something for anyone to work on easily. Nesting stuff done once by a trained assembler with specialized tools is standard these days.

They get put together and then are expected to stay that way till the average guy throws them out... >:(

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on August 20, 2021, 02:19:28 AM
Quote from: nelz on August 20, 2021, 01:35:46 AM

are you saying your pinion bearing is frozen to the frame?  (very common in S/W)
no other options -- MUST get it out!!!  oils, solvents, heat/cold, prayer...  whatever works
NOTE: pretty sure acetone is safe for the graphite frame, but I think yours has plastic inlays
(purely cosmetic/non-structural) that will promptly dissolve along w/ any paint

This is another reason why I stopped working on these graphite/plastic spinning reels — dissolving reels!

You guys are amazing!

Good work.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.