Vanford A/R clutch

Started by Logan7755, August 20, 2021, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan7755

Took my Vanford apart today to find the source of rubbing noise I have been hearing. Tried to keep the A/R clutch from coming apart.That didnt work. So I put it back together and the clutch only was working intermittently. Fast forward an hour and change I finally thought i got it working right after cleaning the clutch with rubbing alcohol.Then I put the whole reel back together. Now its back to intermittent stopping and the AR clutch is kicking in when I reel forward trying to take up line instead of reverse.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Logan from Drearie Erie
Some days you catch fish. Other days you catch a cold.

Wompus Cat

Ya got a Model number where we can look at the schematic as it looks like there are at least 14 differet Vanford Shimano's .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Logan7755

I completely forgot the model number. Sorry about that. Its the Vanford 2500HG

Wompus Cat

All I can find so far is Vanford 2500 SHG does it look anything like this Schemaic?

Logan7755

Looks like the 2500hg. Only difference i can find on the schematic is the drag stack. Which looks to be a couple washers smaller in the 2500shg.

Sorry for the poor quality photo

Wompus Cat

From what I can see this is the model Blown up and items 18732,19883,18735,and 19866are your Roller Clutch parts ? You can enlarge this even more by left clicking on the image then once again .

Logan7755

Thanks. Im not sure why but everytime so far today when I put the AR back together it reels where forward is reverse and engages the AR as the reel is trying to take in slack line. Im guessing something is backwards but Im just not sure.

Wompus Cat

In old Auto  transmissions this type of oneway clutch was called a Sprag and if installed wrong wou;d cause a sundry of Problems ...lol
Main thing to do is situate those rollers all the  same as in sanwitch sping roller ,spring roller spring   roller and so forth so that when you attempt to turn the center it will only turn in one direction .
You may just have it in upside down but try an align everything in the order to get to only move in one dierection and make that direction the anti way you want it to go .

Gfish

I looked at one of those today at our little tackle shop. What do you think of it?
Could you have put one or more of the springs in backwards ?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

Are you sure you have all the  spring/wavy washers in place ?
Can't really tell from your photo but it looks like you have 3 or 4 missing ?
Dang schematic of course does not even show them .  ???

Logan7755

Honestly i've fished with it twice before this. I just kept hearing a rubbing/shuffling sound that was bugging me.... So i took it apart. I like the reel a lot. Ive paired it with a 7'1 st croix victory and its under 10oz with line. I do think the 2500 Stradic FL I have is smoother but this is about an ounce or so lighter. Might not seem like much to most folks but I have a reconstructed arm so every bit of weight I can save while fishing helps.

All the spring are in the picture. I tried switching them up again and it did the same thing. Going to keep trying.

Wompus Cat

Mos likely you need to turn the thing over as it is working backwards me thinks.

philaroman

only know the old grey ones w/ 5-6 screws that could be removed as a unit -- not hands-on familiar w/ these
assuming that's reassembled correctly, try flipping the big steel bushing in the center (RD19899)
old ones were "dual-diameter" & went in fat side up -- otherwise, A/R was messed up somewhat like you describe
AND!!! they were sold w/ ARB as set, had no individual part# & weren't even shown on the schematic, at all

Logan7755

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 21, 2021, 12:09:33 AM
Mos likely you need to turn the thing over as it is working backwards me thinks.

That picture was just showing what the inside looked like.

Wompus Cat

If it looks the same on the other side then flip it over like a coin and install it .
Should work .