Vanford A/R clutch

Started by Logan7755, August 20, 2021, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan7755

Finally figured it out. I was just about to give up and walk over to FishUSA in the AM and ask thr counter guys working if they have dealt with it before. Luckily saved me the short walk. If you push the each spring counterclockwise side and slide the cylinders in to the left of the spring it will work. You just have to be patient and hope everything is super clean and sitting just perfect.

Thanks to everyone who commented.
I really appreciate it.

Logan
Some days you catch fish. Other days you catch a cold.

Logan7755

The side you see in the picture is the bottom that goes down and has a cover you press in which is barely pressed in. The top side not seen has a labyrinth system you put a similar piece on top of to help keep water out. Significantly different from the older Grey AR.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Logan7755 on August 21, 2021, 02:41:20 AM
The side you see in the picture is the bottom that goes down and has a cover you press in which is barely pressed in. The top side not seen has a labyrinth system you put a similar piece on top of to help keep water out. Significantly different from the older Grey AR.

Could not see the Labyrinth  in the Schematic .But it sure looked like you could just flip it over then the spring/roller /roller/spring /roller would be working in the opposite direction and what was needed to get it working again .
Glad you figured it out .I may be tearing one  down soon and can refer to this as well as others can in the  future
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Logan7755

Could not see the Labyrinth  in the Schematic .But it sure looked like you could just flip it over then the spring/roller /roller/spring /roller would be working in the opposite direction and what was needed to get it working again .
Glad you figured it out .I may be tearing one  down soon and can refer to this as well as others can in the  future
[/quote]

Tomorrow when I have some free time I will open up the reel and take a few pictures of the labyrinth system for future reference. The key is to have the reel upside down when you remove and reinstall the AR. I incorrectly thought it had to be removed to open the side plate. I now know it doesn't need to be removed.  Thank you again for your help.

Gfish

Interesting name for a shimano. Didn't all their spinners have "S" names?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

It looks very similar to the AR in my spheros, in which case I believe you yave the rollers on the rong side of the spring. I'm afraid to say something drastic like that if I'm wrong but given your description its seeming possible
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

Bump!
I am intensely curious what the outcome of all this is. Did you get it back up and running?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 07, 2021, 12:27:57 PM
Bump!
I am intensely curious what the outcome of all this is. Did you get it back up and running?

Go to the top post on this page where he says he got it working .

He had something in upside down or the springs in wrong but said he had it working and was gonna show us that the Sprag would only go in one way where I suspected he merely had it upside down since it was working Bass Ackwards . He must be busy fishing with it an has no time to post the afore mentioned pics of the Labyrinth he called it .
Untill I see this Labyrinth I am still thinking he just had it upside down .

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 07, 2021, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 07, 2021, 12:27:57 PM
Bump!

Go to the top post on this page where he says he got it working .

He had something in upside down or the springs in wrong but said he had it working and was gonna show us that the Sprag would only go in one way where I suspected he merely had it upside down since it was working Bass Ackwards . He must be busy fishing with it an has no time to post the afore mentioned pics of the Labyrinth he called it .
Untill I see this Labyrinth I am still thinking he just had it upside down .

Ok then, clearly I missed that. In fact it was answered before I commented. I apparently need more coffee. But I was right about the problem so that's cool i guess.

Wompus Cat

QuoteOk then, clearly I missed that. In fact it was answered before I commented. I apparently need more coffee. But I was right about the problem so that's cool i guess.

Someone else on page one was Right about the problem too I think  ;D

Still think the thing was in upside down....lol

boon

You can't install the Shimano ARs upside down. They have posts on the underside that locate them on the front face of the body of the reel.

You can see them at the 12 and 6 positions of this image:

It was the springs being installed on the wrong side of the rollers.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: boon on September 08, 2021, 12:30:28 AM
You can't install the Shimano ARs upside down. They have posts on the underside that locate them on the front face of the body of the reel.

You can see them at the 12 and 6 positions of this image:

It was the springs being installed on the wrong side of the rollers.

Still would like to see the other side as we seen this one already . It don't make any diff as it is still a sprag and to work properly the thing has to be assembled to lock up in the right direction .

Swami805

I have a Vanford 4000 that use use surf fishing with 12lb. Works fine but not any better than the Johnny Morris reels I got from Bass Pro. Used it about 15 times so far, I just finished a new rod for it, I'll see if I like it better on the new one. No way I'm taking it apart, I Added some grease when I got it and rinse it after every session, hopefully it will hold up.
Do what you can with that you have where you are