Top-shot reels

Started by GT, January 18, 2012, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

Guys I'm about to buy a reel for a particular purpose: go fishing big bluefin tuna with 65lb or 80lb braid and an acid wrapped rod.

The thing is to use the smaller reel possible (with rings to attach an harness ). The issue which is driving me nuts, is the drag power of these small reels.  

The choice is between, Penn 16VSX, Okuma Makaira 15II.

These are max drag specs:

Penn 16VSX: Full Max Drag 42lbs (is this with Freespool?)

Makaira 15II: Full Max Drag with Freespool 34lbs

I need your advice guys.

thanks in advance

Bill Benrath

You might check this link out, it's interesting.  It's related because of the conversation about the Makaira although they are comparing it to an Avet JX Raptor.  There is a lot of conversation about the Makaira.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/fishing-reels/330125-raptor-makaira.html

I really think Okuma needs to make a reel in the size of the Penn 16VSX size; it may be coming down the road.

The Makaira 15II holds 310yds of 30lb mono and weighs 27 oz with 27lbs of drag at strike.

The Penn 16VSX holds 480yds of 30lb mono and weighs 41 oz with 30lbs of drag at strike.

If you are casting bait for your bluefin the Makaira would cast farther but if line capacity is the primary factor the Penn has the advantage.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can contribute; I don't have any experience with bluefin.

Bryan Young

A Makaira 18 sounds good.  A narrow Mak 20?  Hmm. that would be a great reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

If you need advice on reels for bluefin fishing, I'd try some of the boards where the NE guys hang out, such as 369tuna.com. Your choice of reel depends a lot on the type of fishing you plan to do. 360tuna tends to lean toward jigging and popping, but they will help you all they can
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

ah, stuck in the middle.....  the reel that i chose was the penn 12 vsx.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

GT

So alan you would compare makaira 15 to a penn 12.

It seems it has the same weight of the makaira 15...

you have probably seen them opened up... which is the best drag in your opinion?

alantani

not a big fan of wide spool reels like the makaira 15.   the penn 12 vsx holds 500 yards of 80 pound solid jerry brown and delivers plenty of drag.  the designs of both are fine.  i just don't like wide spool reels. 

GT

I will get a penn 12 vsx then!!

Thanks

alantani

i was very happy with mine. 

Tunanorth

OP's question re: 16VSX drag.
Max drag with freespool at "Strike" is 30 pounds.
Max drag with freespool at "Full" is 42 pounds.
Even if the OP chooses 80 pound braid, he will likely use a setting in the 20-25 pound range for "Strike", which would put him at 32-37 at "Full" with a 16VSX.
With any reel like a 16VSX with a very steep drag curve, be sure to measure with a scale the drag at "Plus 1" [[lever directly centered over Strike button], and "Plus 2" [lever just allowing Strike button to pop back up].
This will allow smaller incremental drag increases that are usually better than just slamming it to "Sunset".

redsetta

On the subject of the Penn VSX, I came across the following link that offers some nice custom options (and a bit of fun in the selection process):
http://www.meltontackle.com/products/penn-custom-shop.html
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

strike115

I think you have to evaluate also the avet HX and the HX raptor

alantani

i know that the raptor has a "double" drag system, but it still has only one right main side plate bearing.  the earlier models were so disappointing that i really just passed up the raptors without even looking at them.  in part it was because i didn't want to have to give another bad report on avet......   :-\

gary902

anybody used tis reel and if so r you happy  thinking of buying

jowo

Hi Alan,
I know this is an old thread, but does the 12 VSX really hold 500 yards of 80# spectra? The Penn specs say so, but I've found that reels tend to hold much less spectra than the manufacturers quote. I have a big spool of Sufix 832, and want to get at least 450 yards on it.
thanks,
Johnny