Shimano Titanos GT4000

Started by Ruffy, August 19, 2021, 12:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi All,
I've seen this reel for sale locally. Asking more then I want to pay, but it does look very interesting for a few reasons. Has anyone ever had one and can comment?

It has a 'ajimatic system', does anyone know what that is? I see you can switch off the anti-reverse on the handle side plate, is this it?

I also like the offset foot. Is there any reason why this didn't catch on? Seems like a good way to balance the reel on the rod and make it easier when cranking.

Cheers,
Andrew

oc1

Andrew, look at this ebay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174789320986?nma=true&si=Mb1K5ttPkfclXT0LaqB8aGR5gpo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
It has mag braking and Ajimatic ball bearing drag system..... whatever that is.

Wompus Cat

They also have a CHINUMATIC REEL ????????
but the Spool size is only current certain times of the Year  :o

Read the Descrip on Spool Size

Maybe it is Right or Left or a color.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Ruffy

Hahaha, that is a good one WC!

The GT4000 is a bit too much rich for me at the moment (asking $140), will give it a miss!

Cheers,
Andrew

Cor

This site has helped me to understand that Shimano have a very specific market differentiation policy whereby certain reels are sold in certain markets.

I have never seen or even heard of this one, offset foot? Seems to me there may be some merit in it but would need to try it first. ???

As to the CHINUMATIC REEL, is also not available here and judging by the looks I hope it never will be.
Cornelis

philaroman

oooh...  wonder if you could put that foot on a different model
maybe, a smaller levelwind  :o  then, custom-build an acid-wrap for it  8)
go full 180* w/ a "smooth" 3-guide spiral...  I can dream, can't I ?
some of you hands-on guys w/ proper metal shops, can do more than dream  ;) ;) ;)

Ruffy

Quote from: Cor on August 21, 2021, 06:58:17 AM
This site has helped me to understand that Shimano have a very specific market differentiation policy whereby certain reels are sold in certain markets.

I have never seen or even heard of this one, offset foot? Seems to me there may be some merit in it but would need to try it first. ???

As to the CHINUMATIC REEL, is also not available here and judging by the looks I hope it never will be.

Yeah, thinking about it the offset foot would only work with a levelwind, otherwise you'd wear out one half of your thumb on a non-levelwind constantly pushing the line across.

Or, if you did want to use a non-levelwind you would have to offset your last guide but then the rod and reel would become a matched pair so to speak which would be a hard sell.

Small baitcasters would be perfect for an offset foot, sure you don't want a chinumatic with an offset foot? ;D

Cheers,
Andrew

johndtuttle

Its just a run of the mill graphite star drag reel, nothing to recommend it for $140. Probably a re-badged TLD star or similar.

A Penn Warfare is only around $99 and every bit the reel this is or better and brand new.

Or you could step up to the Fathom and get way more reel for near the same money.

Old Graphite reels should be cheap cheap...the frames don't last forever if you know what I mean.