Florida Adventures

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 20, 2021, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

This fella was quite a fight. He was hanging out under a nice shady tree. I noticed the shiner reaaaaally didn't wanna be near a certain spot, and now I know why.

This was one heck of a fight. He got tangled up really good in the weeds and I almost lost him. Patience pays off.

I had a tape but no scale. He was 20" but not as heavy as the birthday bass

Update: I changed the thread title because I may turn this I to my version of benni3 luck thread.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

::)  Just keep feeding them Shiners ,he`ll get there ......
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

nice one...  that quill would have made a nice stem for the bobber
if you don't want your bait much deeper than 1/2 rod-length,
fixed-float is better than slip-bobber in every way, except casting distance
I know you don't need that much bait finesse for LMB,
but there are tougher days & tougher species

steelfish

nice fish Jason.

I went to the beach finally after many months this pass weekend, my plan was to try some UL fishing while my wife and 10yo daughter were snorkeling but they convinced me to join them and I never took the fishing rod from the trunk  :-\

it was a funny day, tho.
The Baja Guy

Benni3

Great job man,,,, ;) i love Florida,,,,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Benni3

The best way i have found to keep minnows alive is to get a 1gallon water at the grocery store and freeze it,,,,, ;) that and the bubble donut,,,,,,, ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Great weekend for east coast inshore. A keeper redfish, an undersized snook a few mangrove snapper, 2 sail cats and a ladyfish were landed. I kept the red. I lost a 4-5' blacktip shark dockside to a knot failure. And also a probably 4' snook (on the daiwa SS700!!!) After an almost 10 minute fight (that felt like an hour) when I was close to winning. I instinctively palmed the spool like a moron when he got that burst of energy when he was 10 yards from the dock, forgetting I was using 10# braid against that monster. Doesnt count unless you land it.

So I got a few fish, and a few painful lessons. Very productive weekend if you ask me.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ladyfish are hands down the best cut bait in florida. Fun to catch too.

ReelFishingProblems

Seriously good day fishing. You said this was the East Coast, how has the bay been lately?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on September 27, 2021, 04:43:55 AM
Seriously good day fishing. You said this was the East Coast, how has the bay been lately?

Good question. I haven't salted any braid on the west coast since fathers day. I'm told the bay has cleared up but damage is done. Theres still a persistent patch of red tide off Pinellas county

JasonGotaProblem

Got to do a bit of mid-week fishing when I took the day off for an out of town Dr appt.

The jack were running. I landed this hefty fella, but also had a mishap. I saw a pack of them coming and rapidly pulled my shrimp from the other side of the dock and tossed it in front of them. Mid flight the cast felt odd. As it was about to hit the water I saw the line had looped the first guide. But I had no time to address it, the second it hit the water it was snapped up by a big jack. Instantly this 7'6" teramar became a 7'1" rod, and I didn't even land the fish. I'd like to say lessons were learned, but really it seems like a freak occurrence. If I had a half second more to act I'd still have the rod tip and would have landed the fish. Oh well, still got the one, and a few mangrove snapper for the pan.

The question I now ask myself is if I'd done a worse job attaching that guide, would I currently be merely lamenting a lost guide, or would I still have snapped the tip?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on October 06, 2021, 01:11:10 PM

The question I now ask myself is if I'd done a worse job attaching that guide, would I currently be merely lamenting a lost guide, or would I still have snapped the tip?

Well the line Broke your tip as it was wrapped around the Rod at the smallest end and put the Guide out of Bidness which would have distributed the stress along the linear area and used the other Guides for what they do . Distribute the Stress basically .

Good way to look at it is try taking a plain ol  Dead Tree branch and  grab the end of it and bend it down it will break off the end .

sorry for your loss but at least  with a New end Guide you can still use the Rod as opposed to stepping on the middle of it while it was laying on the dock :o
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

;D   Nope , i have done it with just one wrap of masking tape guides while testing a stick .
      It just happens from time to time ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

that skinny braid we like, has no give & is NOT wind-friendly w/ any kind of slack
excited knee-jerk reactions cause just that: a bit of slack & rod tip moving quickly,
in some weird I-changed-my-mind arc...  same as swirling wind

oc1

I break at least one rod a year from tip wrap.