Florida Adventures

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 20, 2021, 12:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on November 11, 2021, 01:37:55 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 10, 2021, 12:50:51 PM
Couldn't sleep last night, turns out I wasn't the only thing still awake. Also apparently it's a rule that the bigger the fish the goodies the face I make taking a pic with it. One of these days I'll finally land a BFT, and I'll probably look like mr Bean holding it.

the smile size increase proportionally to fish size

wait till you catch a 40#YT  or 25# leopard grouper in shallow waters (pretty similar to Gag grouper of florida)

autocorrect kills me, twas supposed to say "goofier" not "goodies"

I've caught a few underside gags around here, they're always a party. They come closer to shore in the winter. And ive learned a few spots to target goliaths from shore. I'm ready this year.
Quote from: Benni3 on November 11, 2021, 01:08:57 AM
Great job man,,,,, ;) I don't like to hole fish sideways for a photo because that always seems to be close to there aftco,,,,,, :-[ it just seems wrong somehow,,,,,, ;D
In general where and how I hold a fish depends on the size and quantity of teeth. But also if I'm not planning to keep a fish, I try to release them without touching them any more than absolutely necessary. Often, including this time, i can let them go without touching them at all. Just pliers on the hook.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

This was a weird catch. Right by the boat ramp as I was coming in on the 'yak (lesson here kids don't pull up the trolling bait til you have to). Just over 24" but surprisingly skinny. Not much of a fight for the size. Still fun. Still a gorgeous day on the water.

philaroman

hey, fish + tapeworm...  that counts as a double  ;)   

JasonGotaProblem

Great day fishing today. In fact possibly my best of 2022 yet. The weather was beautiful, and for some reason there were baby fish in the river of more species than I've ever seen in one place. Baby jack, Spanish mackerel, kingfish, reds, sailors delight, sheepshead, and a few others I couldn't identify. and a ton of little 2" snapper. It was super cool to see. There was also an osprey hanging around, as well as a ton of other birds. And an amazing long-play sunset on the way home. Very picturesque day.

I caught 4 snapper of which 3 were keeper size, a baby snook, and a personal record sheepshead. I lost some big fights (including one slot snook) to structure but that's what I get for only bringing light tackle.

its nice to get out of the workshop every now and then.

handi2

Sheepshead are my favorite white meat. Clean them with an electric filet knife

Great job 👏
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Been a while. I realized I hadn't just stopped off at the lake on my way home in a while. Figured I had 20 min to spare today and went for it. This was a lot of fun on my budget BFS build.

Cor

Lots of nice fishiest over a year!

You ever try to fix that broken rod?  You can nearly always turn one like that in to a useful rod again if you have the time.    Get another piece of a rod somewhere that will fit over it would be the easiest but other ways as well.
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Cor on November 12, 2022, 04:02:37 AMLots of nice fishiest over a year!

You ever try to fix that broken rod?  You can nearly always turn one like that in to a useful rod again if you have the time.    Get another piece of a rod somewhere that will fit over it would be the easiest but other ways as well.
Honestly I just went out and got the same blank and more cork and pulled the hardware from the busted one. I know I did a good job attaching the reel seat because there's no way I could remove it to reuse it.

Cor

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 12, 2022, 04:25:54 AM
Quote from: Cor on November 12, 2022, 04:02:37 AMLots of nice fishiest over a year!

Honestly I just went out and got the same blank and more cork and pulled the hardware from the busted one. I know I did a good job attaching the reel seat because there's no way I could remove it to reuse it.
Fix reel seat with hotmelt glue, I don't think I have ever had one come loose, but if it does you just warm it up turn or move back in to position and let cool.....DONE!
Other benefit is you can always remove it an use again unless damaged, or move it a bit forward/backward on the blank should you wish to do so.

Mate gave me a broken rod, with new winch and guides, was impossible to remove seat and re use.
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Proud dad moment! First slot red!

steelfish

instant cell phone wallpaper!!

awesome
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Nice fish !!!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Few more.

Including a 32" snook caught by my uncle at the beach despite the 4' very surf-able waves. I didn't get any action at the beach other than 1 hit that dragged down the rod holder sending my spheros into the breaking waves and sand while I was filleting the snook. Lost the fish but recovered the rod and reel. It was well greased so there's not a major sense of urgency, but servicing that will be my project tonight.

JasonGotaProblem

I finally got to get some braid salty. Not much success, conditions werent great but I had the day off, and that's the most important condition. The highlight was I almost took down a 3-4' tarpon on my CT-converted abu 5500C3 running 15# braid. That was such a crazy fight! He almost spooled me, I saw arbor. Got him close, and he rallied and almost spooled me a second time, with drag down tight. But I got his head turned and got him to within 40' of shore before he snapped my 15# braid on a jump... Which was when I got to see what I lost.

That now qualifies as my most fun lost fish. That fight was at least 10 minutes and the first time I've ever had a hot side plate. The reel was not due for service, but I'm gonna crack it open and see what that fish did to my drags.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 25, 2023, 08:59:57 PMProud dad moment! First slot red!
THE BEST memory in the world right there!!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)