Madeira fishing report

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, September 22, 2021, 06:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: akfish on September 22, 2021, 03:32:27 PM
A little help please: How can you tell that this is a Big Eye as opposed to yellowfin? The eye looks big, I guess, and the fins seem short in the picture, but is there another obvious sign? I've caught lots of yft and bft, but have never seen a Big Eye. Someday...

In addition to the differences that Greg described, the body of a mature bigeye is deeper and thicker compared to a mature yellowfin, which is longer and leaner.  In other words, the girth to length ratio is greater in the bigeye.  One easy way to distinguish a bigeye from a bluefin is that the bluefin pectoral fin is much shorter than the bigeye or yellowfin.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 22, 2021, 03:21:18 PM
Nice Randy ! What did it weigh ?

Cheers:

Todd

Todd, I am sorry to say that we didn't have a tape measure on board, but if I had to guess, I would say 200 lbs., Give or take 10.

steelfish

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on September 22, 2021, 10:47:30 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2021, 04:43:51 PM
Photoshopped!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I knew that I shouldn't have posted the original photo with my gut hanging out on Facebook!  Just to make you happy Alan, here's the original photo.

LOL , c'mon Randy, how could you be ashamed of your little gut, see how the guy next to you is so proud to show his "Herculean" body
The Baja Guy

redsetta

Congrats Randy - that's sensational.
And very adept Photoshop work too! :D ;D
Madeira has been on my 'must go' list since reading about it in 'Barbarian Days'.
Stoked for ya, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Benni3

That's fantastic catch,,,,,, :D that was a long fight,,,,, ;) great job man,,,,,,, ;D

Maxed Out

Nice job Randy !! Looks like a very picturesque place to fish
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Fantastic job Randy  !!!!!

Col

Caranx

Nice ahi Randy! Congratulations!!! 🤙🏼🤙🏼🤙🏼

54bullseye

Great fish Randy !!! Did you do it stand up or from a chair or my style from the rod holder LOL !!!    John Taylor

Bill B

You're kill it Randy, couldn't happen to a better guy!  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: redsetta on September 22, 2021, 11:56:37 PM
Congrats Randy - that's sensational.
And very adept Photoshop work too! :D ;D
Madeira has been on my 'must go' list since reading about it in 'Barbarian Days'.
Stoked for ya, Justin

Thank you Justin.  Madeira should be somewhere high on your "bucket list.". Even without the chance of a grander (however slim that might be), the island and the people are a true pleasure.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Benni3 on September 23, 2021, 03:33:17 AM
That's fantastic catch,,,,,, :D that was a long fight,,,,, ;) great job man,,,,,,, ;D

Thank you Bennie!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 23, 2021, 03:51:03 AM
Nice job Randy !! Looks like a very picturesque place to fish

Thank you Ted.  You are right. This island is spectacularly beautiful.  The inkiest blue water that I have ever see.. 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: steelfish on September 22, 2021, 11:39:17 PM
Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on September 22, 2021, 10:47:30 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 22, 2021, 04:43:51 PM
Photoshopped!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I knew that I shouldn't have posted the original photo with my gut hanging out on Facebook!  Just to make you happy Alan, here's the original photo.

LOL , c'mon Randy, how could you be ashamed of your little gut, see how the guy next to you is so proud to show his "Herculean" body

Alex, my daughter did a great job making my gut look smaller