Older 9/0 questions

Started by Shellbelly, October 27, 2021, 03:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

I picked up a pair of 9/0 plates with rings with some trim parts installed.  First, in case my pics don't work, both plates are single lug, one inner ring is single lug w/o # and the other is 2-lug w/#.   The gear side is a 7 o'clock part, 3 o'clock logo with sleeve bearing and no#'s, coin edge lever.  Eccentric has no# and spring is present. The clicker side is missing the bearing and the inside shows the milling pattern.  The ring w/# is obviously not consistent and will be set aside.  I haven't removed the outer rings b/c they're pretty tight and I don't want to be a moe-ron.  Also. I've never before noticed the indention with very small "grease" spelled in it...oh, the oiler is missing it's ball. It may be jammed inside, I hope.

Overall condition is good, but not great or exceptional.  Bakelite is still shiny.  Being a novice, I estimate these parts to be post war, pre 1951.  How'd I do??

Next, I believe this is worthy of a build out to original specs.  Which spool(s?), stand, etc., and internals would be correct for this model?  As for shiny parts, would these be nickel or chrome?  Mixing the two metal finishes just looks funky. Then, there's the handle and knob challenge as well.  I have 3 other 9/0's but they're later models, 2 w/ ball bearings and the third is a numbered 3 o'clock logo w/bushings.

I would use one of the newest bb reels as a donor if any of the parts are correct...which is something I don't know.

I enjoy bringing a box of decent parts back to life.  It adds a personal attachment to the shelf space for me as well as a bit of a story about the quest.  I guess you could say it's a self imposed apprenticeship.

Anyway, I am open to advice and resources and what about them Astros!  (Be nice)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

1badf350

The single lug says it all. You have plates and parts from a very early second gen 9/0. 1940-41 or so. The double lug inner ring is a replacement IMO
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Shellbelly

Thanks! Earlier than i thought.  AND the pics apparently made it to the post?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Deepennz

Hi There,
I have 3 of those "no front lug" first of the 2nd Gen 9/0's - some spec's -
1) the spools all have a drilled hole arbor - again about 3/4in in from the left side end.
2)All external drags.
3)One of the reels has no engraving on the left side plate - the other two do, leading me to conclude that the engraved end plate happened soon after the change from 1st to 2nd Gen. Non of my 1st gen 9/0's (I have 6!) have an engraved side plate.
4)Coin edged counterweight handle .... either dark hued or that butterscotch color.
5)the drag stars are made of slightly thicker brass, with square, sharp edges, After 1941 Penn changed to a thinner brass plate for the stars, and the handle blades. they also rounded off the edges of the star/blades.

Hope that helps!
Martin

Cuttyhunker

Martin, Thanks for the info on the stars, I have a few of these 40ish 115's, so now I'll have to check that out.  Does anyone know when the front lugs appeared on the 9/0?
Doomed from childhood

Shellbelly

Thank you Martin!  Should the stand have round or square holes?  I assume the clamp is the swivel type.

I'll crack open my oldest 9/0 and see if there were internal milling changes.
The oiler looks bigger on this plate than on my other models.  I'm used to seeing "grease" or "lubricant" in an arch above the oiler.

Did the internal parts change?

Folks, it looks like I'm in the market for some parts and donor reels. I don't think the bay is going to be too fruitful for this model.

(Wow, a cool front just blew in!  Ducks are right behind it!)

I'd be grateful to find a useful pile for sale.

Deepennz

Hi There,
The addition of the Front lugs occurred next - either late 1940, or early 1941. These reels still have a drilled spool arbor. This changed soon afterwards to the drilled post. All these models still had the coin edged counterweight.
The stands all have the square holes. I am not aware of any internal parts change in those pre-war 9/0's - If the reel works ok I generally don't crack open the gear box.
One other point to note - the Top harness lugs on the early 9/0's are only 'half rounds'  - and these continued to be used on both top and side lugs seemingly until late 1941. Then Penn changed the top lug to the full circle - the side lug remained the half round type.  Eventually, after the war, Penn moved to all full circle lugs.
Clear as mud?
Hope that helps!
Martin

Maxed Out

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on October 27, 2021, 12:36:39 PM
Martin, Thanks for the info on the stars, I have a few of these 40ish 115's, so now I'll have to check that out.  Does anyone know when the front lugs appeared on the 9/0?

Brian Purrone had (2)- 1941 9/0 2nd gen, both with boxes & catalogs, both from original owners. This was when front lugs first appeared on the 9/0.

Page 14 of 1941 catalog describes "front rod brace" for 9/0, 10/0, & 12/0

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shellbelly

OK, so it looks like i have what I need to build the operational reel, just not correct for '41.  Thank you, guys!  I'll make a list and go shopping.