AnglingAnywhere rods from the UK

Started by thorhammer, October 20, 2021, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Does anyone know anything about these? I have come by one, and it feels nice, but not much out there on them. i have a casting 12' Universal 3-5oz, which isn't even on their site. I think it will make a great spoon slinger with a SHXV 20.

John

thorhammer

Phil, thats the correct name. I've contacted them but haven't heard back. We'll see.

Jeri

They are a far east manufactured rod, original built to serve the UK and European surf markets. First had two standards, red and blue, which were basically price and quality points; which seems to have been dropped.

They have a variable reputation on quality control, as a result of being a mass produced item, with most complaints about breakages being dealt with by a new replacement. performance wise, they are not setting the world on fire whether it be distance or power, but just basically a middle of the road product.

We did have someone start to import them down to southern Africa for a while but they were never adopted as a viable product for this market.

UKChris1

My first impression is that they seem very expensive for an anonymous rod where you don't know who made the blank. For that price, the UK surfcasting scene offers a lot of very reliable products.

thorhammer

Well noted, gents- I came across this one a ways back and wanted the 970 perched on it; I basically got rod free. It has developed a crack at the spigot, despite me only using it maybe twice (it was used when I got it)- so that echoes your comments. We'll see what they do about it. If the answer is naught, I will overwrap the joint up six inches and see if that suffuces for chunking light lead out for the smaller critters. The rod is light enough to still be interesting on 3-5 lb fish and an overwrap should hold that.

John

Jeri

If the crack is in the female side of the spigot, and not too long; we have found that a small application of super glue to the crack sometimes assists with joining the crack - before overwhipping. The trick is not to get super glue on the inside face. Overwhip and resin afterwards does assist considerably.

Spigot issues were one of the main complaint about these rods.

thorhammer

Thanks Jeri! I'll try that, if it comes to. The crack is very thin, I didn't even see it- my nail nicked across it when I picked it up and upon further inspection found the full damage. Upon normal glance, it looked lie just a little scrape on the overwrap, and it's been hanging in the rack some years without a peek.

On a side note, I just received a 13' Axiom heaver blank, haven't seen much review of them so hopefully I'll have one to post. Some sort of co-op with St Croix, who doesnt sell blanks directly anymore, but I've not been exactly able to untangle the relationship.

John