Quick memory

Started by TJAndrews, March 01, 2022, 01:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJAndrews

My brother posted this 2011 photo as a memory on Facebook this morning. It's me and a St. Lawrence River walleye, on the dock of the place where we go on our annual fishing trip. Notice how I'm not holding this walleye with my arm extended - a fish like this one doesn't need artificial exaggeration.

So why do I post it here? Simple. Odds are excellent that I brought this bruiser in with the DAM Quick 331 that I've owned for some 50 years, since I do about 95% of my fishing with that reel. And it still works as good today as the day I got it.

thorhammer

That's a nice fish! Reel more than up to it tho, as you know.

John

foakes

These DAM Quick reels have many features —

Longevity, no drama, strong & capable, good value — always ready to fish.

One of the most under-appreciated reels — and one of the best.

That 331 is a high-speed reel with 1:5 gearing, steel double-supported worm drive, phosphor cut bronze main, overbuilt and ready for the next fishing trip in any sort of conditions.  Same size as a 330.

Thanks for sharing, TJ!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BocaSnook1

Very nice fish and a great fishing reel. 

Love the Dam Quick 331 - I have two of them!

Tad

happyhooker

Nice 'eye.

Do you guys see sauger up on the St. L. R. ?

Frank

TJAndrews

Quote from: happyhooker on March 02, 2022, 12:52:19 AM

Do you guys see sauger up on the St. L. R. ?

I've never heard of them there, but I'm far from any kind of expert. My family has been spending one week a year at one (maybe) 7-mile stretch of the river since the 60's. That's it.

We've caught lots of walleyes and smallmouths, perch and rock bass before the gobies crowded them out, northern pike, a few suckers, some fallfish, a crappie and pumpkinseed or two, one channel cat, two sheepshead, a few eels in the past but not lately. No largemouths or muskies, though they are supposed to be there. But no sauger.

happyhooker

I only ask about sauger because they once were fairly common in the St. Lawrence, but supposedly rare to non-existent nowadays.  New York conservation folks are always on the lookout for sauger reports up thataway.

Frank

farmer56

from a minnesota farm boy thats a keeper ....  on a side note i'm using a D A M  331 that Fred Oaks made up for me and i'm using it at gulf shores Alabama ...  works great ...  thanks again for  nice pic. i want in your boat ..  ex-farmer56 dennis