Hail mary - Abu 6500CS Mag handle side plate?

Started by boon, January 26, 2022, 08:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

I've got a 6500CS Mag here that came in a bucket of "basket cases". I've largely resurrected it, but the handle side (right side) sideplate has corroded around the freespool switch so the hole in the sideplate is now oversized.

Does anyone have a sideplate that would work with this reel that they would consider selling? Enormous bonus points if it's in the orange colour. There are options online but it will end up costing me north of $70 or so which is more than I'm prepared to invest in this reel.

foakes

Hi Boon —

Got a few 6500CS sideplates — not sure if they would work, or not for your reel.  Silver, and maybe more.

A new complete set with the inner matching head side plate assembly inside is a burgundy metallic.

But it is for a 6500CS 2-Speed.

If you had a part number — I could look through some large, organized bins of ABU parts. There are (17) 27 Quart bins of ABU parts — and I recall some sideplates for ABU baitcasters — mostly spinning stuff — but some plates also.

N/C, if there is something you could use.

Will post when the photo option is back up — or you can send the info to my personal email outside of our site —

Glad to help, if possible.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

boon

Thank you for your (as always) very kind offer, Fred.

I'll see if I can find a part number. Sadly the schematics for these reels are not as clean as, for example, Penn - there are schematics labelled as being this reel, that are very clearly not this reel  ??? ???

I'll come back when I know a little more, cheers.