I want to upgrade to a 6.3:1 gear set

Started by Breadfan, February 02, 2022, 02:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

So, I am cannibalizing a abu brake plate  to use in my Rocket Reel.  It's coming off an Ambassadeur ONE 5000 dome dome reel, reel foot #120014 41 and I'd like to upgrade the main gear and pinion to a 6.3:1. I see them around the web but I am unsure if they will fit. Any suggestions?

thorhammer

Dunno but how do you like the Rocket chassis?

Breadfan

I love it. The craftsmanship is spot on. I can't wait to get this reel together! I tried to post a pic on the other thread this morning but I kept getting rejected.

Breadfan

I found the schematic to the Ambassadeur ONE 5000 reel and the main gear is 21200 and the pinion is 20848.

thorhammer

well noted. cant wait to see this progress.

Breadfan

Ive come up with main gear #23955 and pinion gear #1117005 but I dunno. It's a 30.00 gamble. Having a hard time confirming whether these will fit or not.

Breadfan

So, I keep searching and learning. Pinion 1117005 is a 4 slot for a 6 block brake and I need a 2 slot. My brakes are 2 blocks. Looks like #23954 is the one I need. I found a factory set #23954 pinion and #23955 main gear plus drag washers. Seems like a good deal at 43.00.

thorhammer

Dang. Seems high to me- I think you can get a stainless set aftermarket for not much more. Not sure if it fits your app tho.

Breadfan

With the drag washers and free shipping, that is actually a good price. Mikes Reel Repair was the only other supplier I could find both gears at the same place and it was 42.00 plus shipping and no drag washers. Everyone else would have one but not the other, which just makes shipping crazy expensive. The ones I found with the drag washers was on ebay. I bought them so we shall see. I think I've done my homework and I have the right ones. I answered my own question, so to speak. I needed the drag washers too!

thorhammer

Sweet. This is good trailblazing. Curious as to what Nick did with his.

Breadfan

Quote from: thorhammer on February 03, 2022, 04:08:10 PM
Dang. Seems high to me- I think you can get a stainless set aftermarket for not much more. Not sure if it fits your app tho.

I did look for the stainless, that's what I really wanted. I could only find one site selling them, for about 60.00 in the UK, and they wouldn't ship over here. That will be the long term goal, when I see them, I'll buy them if the price isn't to bad. Brass will be fine unless I hook into something I'm not fishing for!

tincanary

6.3 gears will fit no problem.  If you get the 4 slot pinion, you need the 6-pin brake washer.  If you get the 2 slot, you need the 2-pin washer. 

Breadfan

Quote from: tincanary on February 06, 2022, 05:08:53 PM
6.3 gears will fit no problem.  If you get the 4 slot pinion, you need the 6-pin brake washer.  If you get the 2 slot, you need the 2-pin washer. 

Thanks, conformation is always much appreciated. I was not quite, but I was pretty sure I had ordered the right one! I did order the two slot, which matches my brakes.

tincanary

Quote from: Breadfan on February 07, 2022, 01:37:25 PM

Thanks, conformation is always much appreciated. I was not quite, but I was pretty sure I had ordered the right one! I did order the two slot, which matches my brakes.

Even if you did order the 4 slot, the 6-pin brake is a drop in replacement for the 2-pin. 

Breadfan

Quote from: tincanary on February 08, 2022, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: Breadfan on February 07, 2022, 01:37:25 PM

Even if you did order the 4 slot, the 6-pin brake is a drop in replacement for the 2-pin. 

I thought about that and wondered since it had 4 slots would it engage faster that the two pin? If that is the case, I may change out the pinion and brake washer at some point. For now, the parts came in today and everything went smoothly. I works as it should and it has new drags and I'm really liking this reel. I'm going to make a new post and put up some good pics and explanations of the process. I'm still waiting on the handle and it will be pretty much finished and ready to fish.