Simple Beauty (Penn Surfmaster 100)

Started by Dragalioun, April 01, 2023, 01:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike ferdinands and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dragalioun

Very boring compared to some of the hot-rodded beasts we have in this community but I'm proud of it nonetheless!

This is my Penn Surfmaster 100, I haven't been able to do many modifications to it yet (Big one's have been to change its gear sleeve for one on my Penn 9, swap the handle for a 24-66, put new drags and a 10-66 star) but it feels pretty nice and looks pretty too! Plan to add a stainless gear sleeve and mag it when I get a chance to buy the parts for it but I plan to keep this reel for decades (As well as my other old Penns, but especially this beauty). My partner through thick and thin if you will.

Swami805

That's a nice one, they feel so much lighter than a 146 squidder. I use one pier fishing stock except for a 24-49 handle
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

One of my favorites. But what is a 'Happy floridian'?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Ron Jones

With 3 drag disks and a factory handle, I would leave the gear sleeve you have in it. They have worked for about a century, I hope you enjoy catching fish with it.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shellbelly

Nice.  The Surfmaster line is a good-looking bunch of reels.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Dragalioun

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 01, 2023, 04:25:21 AMOne of my favorites. But what is a 'Happy floridian'?

Just a Florida-born boy who wants to try and enjoy what happiness we have in this day and age

Dragalioun

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 01, 2023, 04:26:27 AMWith 3 drag disks and a factory handle, I would leave the gear sleeve you have in it. They have worked for about a century, I hope you enjoy catching fish with it.

The Man

I sure hope so, there's certainly a good ol precedent for these workhorses surviving through thick and thin!

thrasher

It's a Florida thing......you wouldn't understand

I also love my surfmaster 100, all narrows for that matter.

Shellbelly

Tell us about that rod, Sir!  We have to get "all up in your business".
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Dragalioun

Quote from: Shellbelly on April 01, 2023, 03:55:30 PMTell us about that rod, Sir!  We have to get "all up in your business".

Ask and you shall recieve haha

Rod is a Star Rod Stellar Lite (PG1220ISM) I received for my birthday a little bit ago, just as long as the old one I had before (A random Penn Squall rod I scrounged up a long time ago) but the grip area was shorter so it actually has a good amount more "rod" to it in comparision (way way lighter too!). I didn't know what I was missing out on until now
Having all the guides with rings is certainly something, cut my line more than twice on a broken guide which was a fun experience.

Just missing one thing now..  :fish

thorhammer

consider a 24-310. nice handle on these.