Reviewing the BG 9000

Started by mo65, January 01, 2021, 03:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrasher

Cool reel I never knew existed, thanks for posting!
On a side note, did that Abu open end come with a reel or was it purchased? Also got a chuckle over teeny turner, Proud Mary popped in my head  ;D

mo65

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 02, 2021, 12:28:49 PM
I recall there was some noise at the time about the quality of components, specifically the brass gears had a tendency to fail, it was said. BUT, but but, bear in mind that people say dumb things all the time, and i do not know for sure if this was actually true or not. I think that this came of people, or a certain someone, using these reels for deep dropping big lead and habitually stopping the drop by simply poking the reel into gear, which of course would be detrimental to said gears.

I do not recall any mention of stainless steel gears. However, they do mention the double dog feature in the catalog at the time. (Abu, ahead of their time as usual) Maybe, and this is actually a totally feasible maybe, the reels were later improved and upgraded to feature stainless steel gears in later production.

Thanks Robert, information on these guys is really spotty. I haven't been able to gather much...only a few advertisements and some eBay pics. These ads indicate that the gears were steel, so that guy who stated the steel gears were aftermarket could be mistaken. I saw a main and pinion both in steel on eBay...that's about it. I'm interested to see a few others open these reels and share their findings. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: thrasher on January 02, 2021, 01:30:56 PM
Did that Abu open end come with a reel or was it purchased?

I bought it on eBay thrasher...last I looked there were still some being sold. 8)

Robert Janssen

Okay. The presence of the HS and HSN models indicate that this ad is of a later year, since these models weren't mentioned in 2004 but came later. I will have a look in later year catalogs and see if it comes up there. I just don't have them in front of me right now. Maybe we can get some info, fill in some blanks.
BTW, what does the foot stamp on your reel say?

mhc

Nice reel Mo - and well photographed as usual. As luck would have it I have a 10000i that has 'Big Game' on the tail plate but it looks a little different to your 9000.

This could be one of the models that gave the 'Big Game' ABUs a bad name - it has a brass gear, IAR + one dog and three drag system. Your reel looks a lot sturdier with the double dogs, SS gears, five stack...... clearly a different 'Big Game' series.

The box it came in has a made in Sweden sticker but there is no indication on the reel itself where it was made

The specs on the box

and the foot stamp for Doc (160117 15)

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 02, 2021, 02:18:16 PM
What does the foot stamp on your reel say?

Thanks again for the help Doc...foot stamp is 130014-01.

mo65

Quote from: mhc on January 02, 2021, 03:40:43 PM
This could be one of the models that gave the 'Big Game' ABUs a bad name - it has a brass gear, IAR + one dog and three drag system. Your reel looks a lot sturdier with the double dogs, SS gears, five stack...... clearly a different 'Big Game' series.

Thanks for posting Mike. Yes...yours is one of the later "i" models...and they returned to a more common Abu 3-stack set up. They also lost the double dogs, Penn style eccentric, and all the stainless steel. Still a fine reel, but not the same animal. 8)

Robert Janssen

Okay. Sorry for delay.
Just went and had a more thorough look.

MHC's reel is, according to the foot stamp number if i have deciphered that correctly, designed in 2006, and manufactured after one revision in april of 2007. As noted, a later "i" version 10000i.

Mo's reel seems to be designed in 2003 and made in january of 2004 without revisions, which would suggest that it is one of the first year, first model original Big Game series.

As we have seen before, the Big Game series was presented in the Swedish version of Tight Lines in 2004, in a basic lineup of 7000, 9000 and 10000 sizes. Described as featuring the double dogs and multiple disc teflon drag.

The next year, 2005, the lineup was broadened to include the BG 7000HS, 7000HSN, 7000LD*, and both 9000 and 10000 in CT (non-levelwind) versions. No mention of stainless gears anywhere, and the same multi-disc teflon drag.

In 2006, this lineup and description was identical. I think this was the year (or maybe the year after) i ran into Abu's production manager at the time and the subject of the brass gears came up briefly. Nothing particularly important or interesting was discussed.

In 2007, my catalog seems to be missing, dunno why, but the 7000i was introduced in red livery.

In 2008, they describe a list of improvements to the 7000 9000 and 10000, including Carbon Matrix drag washers, double dogs and overly dimensioned gears, as well as a stronger thisorthat and theotherthing. 
They mention having improved the 7000i in more than twenty ways, (which makes me wonder what the hell was wrong with it to begin with) along with IAR and double dogs. The 10000i and 9000i are shown in black livery, and a BG 7000i HSN, BG 9000i and BG 10000i are listed in the fine print.

In 2009, same as year previous.

Nowhere, including the advertisement a few posts up, do they actually mention stainless steel gears, or what changes were made exactly. If anyone really wants to know, they would need someone who is good at Abu schematics to compare and decipher any differences. KenD would have been perfect for the job, but maybe others can as well. I myself cannot be bothered.

*actually introduced the previous year, but dressed in blue

mo65

Thanks for that additional info Doc...much appreciated! 8)

SteveL

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 08, 2021, 02:06:41 PM

Nowhere, including the advertisement a few posts up, do they actually mention stainless steel gears, or what changes were made exactly. If anyone really wants to know, they would need someone who is good at Abu schematics to compare and decipher any differences. KenD would have been perfect for the job, but maybe others can as well. I myself cannot be bothered.

I have confirmed from schematics and photos of the actual gear that the 10000i (16 01)  used a brass main gear.

I have confirmed from schematics and photos of the actual gear that the BG 10000 (13 02) used a steel main gear (#1092375), as well as a steel pinion (#1092379, currently available on ebay ).  The BG 10000 CT (14 01) used the same gears, as did the BG 9000 (13 02) and BG 9000 CT (14 01) models.

The prior modal 10000 CL (94 03) used a brass main gear.

So from 2003 to 2006, the "Big Game" model came with steel gears.  The prior and later 10000 models (no "BG" designation) had brass gears.  Incidentally, only the "BG" models seem to have the plus sized drag stack.

It should be noted that the available schematics indicate revision from the initial production (could not find those schematics).  So I  can't say for certain that the original production of these models had steel gears not brass.

Anyone wanting a steel main gear for the BG 10000 (13 02) or  BG 9000 (13 02), they have one left for $5.29 on closeout here
https://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/abu-garcia-1092375-main-gear-complete-closeout/

Mic

Mike,
Being of sound mind and excellent abilities to rebuild a reel such as the ABU BG9000, would you recommend it as a quality investment not only to catch a record flathead but also as a future trading card so to speak ?

I've read and studied several post that yourself and others have done concerning the BG series reels as well as pre-BG reels. Very well done and also very informative. I wouldn't say that I'm a "tight" individual but rather and individual who doesn't like to have to keep buying stuff to just replace stuff.

My hammers are EastWing if a name can be read. Truck is a Chevy and I have had lots of Fords. I personally don't like buying junk just because that's all they had to sale.

Thanks for the honest opinion Sir

Mic

mo65

Quote from: Mic on January 16, 2021, 12:06:12 AM
Mike,
Being of sound mind and excellent abilities to rebuild a reel such as the ABU BG9000, would you recommend it as a quality investment not only to catch a record flathead but also as a future trading card so to speak ?

Hi Mic,
   Yes...the BG 9000 has the muscle to land big fish. Even with the brass gears it would still be a strong reel. The problem with fishing one hard, would be parts availability if you ever did bust anything. I'd like to have a fresh driveshaft(gear sleeve) for mine, but after searching the net I only found one, and it was in Canada, and the shipping charges were ridiculous.

steelfish

this is a monster of an Abu ambassadeur

great find Mo.
the abu 7000c is capable to catch saltwater Leopard grouper and is just 3-stack and brass Gear while yours has SS gear and double dog, this was made to catch those giant monsta Siluro ( Big Catfish in Europe )
The Baja Guy