MXL / SX Bait to Strike Setting

Started by togntime, January 24, 2012, 06:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rare

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 18, 2012, 11:06:13 PM
Nope it only make the drag smoother while fighting a fish. If the drag ramp up is to severe from nothing to too much Avet now makes the Kodiak cam which may help this issue.

The guys are right about this. Just last week I picked up the South Florida cam-Kodiak. Live bait is useless & this should put me where I want to be. I'm not sure when avet started this new order part or it has been always there but with 3 orders of parts in 2 weeks.... everything came in. 1+

SoCalAngler

Quote from: alantani on March 20, 2012, 05:35:00 AM
well, in all fairness, okuma has ALOT of reels and rods to learn. the toughest would be the shimano line.  they have the most.  with sales going up, okuma is probably hiring more staff, and it might take a while to get everyone up to speed. 

Alan I do agree with you and I also think Okuma has made great strides in their saltwater gear. I feel their purchase of Tiburon paid off big time and the Makaira reels are top shelf gear for sure. My point was more about the reps not knowing what their selling. I mean this the biggest fishing show on the west coast and the second biggest in America, I would think that with times as tough as they are in the fishing industry manufactures would want to have the best people representing their gear. I was not the only person at the booth that saw this and it did not leave the best taste in my mouth so to speak. Would I not buy a reel because some rep at a show did not know the gear their selling? No, but others not knowing the Makaira line of reels may have been steered toward another manufacture.

alantani

well, i am certain he will be prepared for the next show!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

OShaughnessy

I've noticed this issue on my MXL MC as well.  I have a Kodiak cam on order.

jaypeegee

I have this issue also

Have posted in the General forum but the thread has stopped being answered. No issue there. It bores even me now.

What about the Kingfish drag mod where the pusher bush is replaced with 3 sets of bellevilles?

http://bluemarlinchronicles.wordpress.com/bmc-drag-update/

I am chasing this as an alternative to the cam swap currently
Alan suggested I file down my sock CAM but I am leery of screwing that up.

I wonder however what benefits the replacement of the bush with 3 sets of washers would give

Or

to modify that further

have three sets and one extra washer like this
()()()(|
Where the last washer was separated from the LH bearing with spool spring spacer washer
So at low to med compression the outer edge of the Belleville was sitting against the outer race of the LH bearing and at high compression the spring washer stopped it from interfering with the inner race to reduce axial pressure?

Successful outcome would be a gradual increase in drag from bait to strike and not an attempt to overdrive the reel and gain more drag than factory suggests is inside tolerance.
I understand that this mod reduces the max drag by a %age but not sure if that is not insurmountable

SoCalAngler

In the link the guy is talking about the LX reels and not SX or MX reels. You can play around with the belleville washers and get more or less drag or change the ramp up but with a ()()()(| as shown I think you may loose freespool. To me the stack looks to long and when the washes and everything is put back together you will get drag at freespool. In my SX if I place around 6 pounds of drag at strike I will get a pound or two of drag at bait, the more drag at strike the more at the bait setting. The ramp up is gradual and smooth from bait on up. Its been a little while since I had my SX open but I think the stock setup was (())(). I placed my SX back to the stock setup and if you want I will open it and post what I find, just let me know.

day0ne

You could try the Kodiak cam from Avet. It gets rid of the live bait setting and uses a gentler ramp up. Just a thought. From the Avet webpage:

"The South Florida and Kodiak cam is a replacement drag adjustment cam with a less aggressive ramp profile to allow a finer lever adjustment range for extremely light drag settings. Very popular for light line sailfish and tournament kingfish with LX and JX models, and salmon and other light line species for the SX - MX models. Choose the cam insert for a permanent retrofit to your reel, or choose the arm with the cam already installed for quick "no tools" changeability back to the original aggressive cam when needed. Specify color when ordering the arm. We suggest ordering a different color arm to easily distinguish from the original arm with the standard cam. These cams do not have the "Bait Setting" detent, for ultra fine lever adjustment immediately from the free-spool position forward."

Whoops, I see this has already been mentioned
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

jaypeegee

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 10, 2014, 04:49:13 AM
In the link the guy is talking about the LX reels and not SX or MX reels. You can play around with the belleville washers and get more or less drag or change the ramp up but with a ()()()(| as shown I think you may loose freespool. To me the stack looks to long and when the washes and everything is put back together you will get drag at freespool. In my SX if I place around 6 pounds of drag at strike I will get a pound or two of drag at bait, the more drag at strike the more at the bait setting. The ramp up is gradual and smooth from bait on up. Its been a little while since I had my SX open but I think the stock setup was (())(). I placed my SX back to the stock setup and if you want I will open it and post what I find, just let me know.

I played around with the stack the other night and noted that there may be too many washers in my drawing.
The bush replacement was suggested to me rather than the SFL cam
I have asked the person who suggested this for a little more info which I will post if OK with him.

I figured that if I rocked them like this initially ()()()(| and lost free spool  then I would remove internal washers until I regained it but retain the trailing (| arrangement.

I would keep this trailing arrangement unless it is a poor idea that will grant no benefit to the LH spool bearing

I emphasize that this is to increase the gradualness of the drag and not to increase the max drag. In fact as I understand it, It will reduce overall max drag.

If you have the specs of your SX bellevilles that would be good (ID X OD X Width deflection)
I have asked a couple people who both say that the LX washers should be thicker than the MXL as well as having different ID and OD but on mine the MXL washers are definitely thicker than the LX and the ID and OD are the same so further clarification will be helpful.
Intuitively having more thinner washers would provide a better (finer) drag increase range
Fewer thicker washers a more abrupt drag increase

Does that translate to real world experience?

If I get new washers to replace the Avet washers (None in the country at the NZ dealers and I don't wish to bother the dealer with such a paltry purchase if I can get them myself. I also assume Avet USA wont ship to a country with an existing dealer)
and I go to here
http://www.mcmaster.com/?orderview=new#belleville-disc-springs/=qmzzn3
I see my ID is .1875 and there are several that are close @ .190"

0.190" 0.375" 0.015" 0.027" 0.006" 34 55 12 9712K58 4.26 12 9713K58 5.78
0.190" 0.375" 0.018" 0.028" 0.005" 46 81 12 9712K15 6.40 __ ______ __
0.190" 0.375" 0.020" 0.030" 0.005" 60 110 12 9712K59 3.88 12 9713K59 4.80
0.190" 0.375" 0.030" 0.036" 0.003" 125 233 3 9712K112 5.40 3 9713K12 6.52
0.190" 0.562" 0.019" 0.037" 0.009" 45 67 6 9712K18 7.72 __ ______ __
0.190" 0.562" 0.028" 0.042" 0.007" 87 163 6 9712K19 7.81 __ ______ __

Does a larger or smaller OD have relative merits outside of load? More or less inherent failure etc?
I assume that going conservative in respect to working load is better?
If the OD of the bearing these will but up against is .500" then is a smaller OD or slightly larger OD on the washer preferable?

Lastly, If a better source exists or one with the exact sizings, then please let me know.

jonathan.han

Marketing guys are all the same. Have the gift of gab to get the job, but when it's time to talk about the product and any technical specs, they call an engineer. Probably decent at golf; terrible at fishing and working on his car/home.
raw instinct