The List - SOA 3-day, July 1-4 - Alan Tani chartermaster

Started by alantani, November 11, 2021, 12:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Rocket Dog

and sinking out, they absolutely were NOT interested in the excellent grade of sardines available, or any form of jig or iron tossed into the boil.  Every one of our 9 bluefin was caught at night, on medium size jigs (320-380 gram) and fished deep depending on what the captain called out (everybody on an AT trip already knows this, but metered line is a requirement, not a luxury for this type of fishing).  On the shallow side at night they would get up as far as 120 deep, anywhere down to 300.  And we would fish for them all night catching anywhere from 2200 up to 0300.  Good luck guys, look forward to the AT gang getting out there and putting a hurt on them! - john
[/quote]

Thanks for the update.

alantani

gentlemen, our trip is fast approaching.  there is something that please needs to be done today,  please send a text message to denise at the SOA office with a photo of your passport.  also, please let her know if you have a mexican fishing permit.  if you do not, she will get a mexican permit for you.  there are things that will need to be taken care of this week.

california license - you will also need a california fishing license.  if you do not have one, you will have to get one at the landing.

rough weather - i'm sorry, but it's going to be brisk during our trip.  i would recommend light foul weather gear, or at least a medium weight jacket.  deck boots will be essential

16 ounce weights - we had horrific tangles on the last trip.  i must encourage, possibly insist,that people use 16 ounce lead weights for sinker rigs.  by using the same weights, we should be able to decrease the tangles.  it's just like rockcod fishing. 

500 gram jigs - they might be the only way that you can get a jig down far enough if the fish are deep.  i can help you rig them. 

800 to 100 pound line class rods and reels - all of my heavy gear is already spoken for.  if you do not have one, you might have to rent one from the boat. 

dinner, june 30th - anyone in town the day before, please meet us at miguel's cocina on scott street, 5pm.  it's walking distance from the harbor. 

breakfast, july 1st - denny's on rosecrans, 7am, also walking distance from the landing.  when you are facing the H&M landing office, look way down the sidewalk, about 50 yards, to the right.  that's where the boat is. 

boarding, july 1st - line up by 9am.  we should be boarding by 10am.  we will depart as soon as boarding is complete. 

fishing has been brutally slow.  every bite has to be converted, every fish needs to make it onto the deck.  if we all gear up properly and work together as a team, it can greatly improve our fish counts.   more later. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pjstevko

Keta

Quote from: alantani on June 28, 2022, 03:31:34 AM....800 to 100 pound line class rods and reels....

my truck winch will do 800# but I do not have a power pole for it..... ;0)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

Weather is looking sporty for this trip!  10+ winds the whole time with 4' swells (under 10 second period) and 6' waves.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

Could someone please pm me the texting # for Denise ?

Thank you

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

MarkT

We get 6 or 7 spots for rods along the house. They'll take up to 7 1/2'ers. 8's have to go up front at a 45 or go in the rocket launchers at the tackle station.

I'm planning on bringing this time:

30#  SX Raptor/UC Tilefish Jr  Bait
50#  JX Raptor/UC Predator 76  Bait/Colt Snipers
50#  Tranx 500/PSW 909XH       Surface iron/Poppers
60#  Mak 15T/PCH 741XXH        Bait/Sinker
80#  Mak 16/Centaur 76         Bait/Sinker/Jigs
100# Mak 20/Viper 76           Jigs

A smaller tackle bag!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

DFT

It won't hurt to bring a Mad Macs 200 mm if you guys are trolling at all.

Rocket Dog

Quote from: DFT on June 29, 2022, 12:18:41 AMIt won't hurt to bring a Mad Macs 200 mm if you guys are trolling at all.

I was just about to ask if anyone was bringing some. I'm stopping by to pickup some lead tomorrow and maybe one or two..

Rocket Dog