Which Penn model hits your weak spot?

Started by Shellbelly, November 11, 2021, 05:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Quote from: oc1 on January 21, 2022, 07:16:51 AM
I'm with Tommy and Fred.  716 greenie.  Been looking for an affordable 955 for a few years but "affordable 955" seems to be an oxymoron.

Years ago I lucked into a sweet deal from a friend of the owner of Tiburon,  who was selling some reels for him.  I got a mint 965 and three mint 955's for $130 and $140 each respectively.  The 955 has become my go to for shallow water rockfish.

I asked on this forum once which reels should I keep Shimano Calcutta or Penn 965's?  Everybody said keep the Penns.  I listened.  Parts are still available mostly.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shellbelly

Quote from: kjdunne on January 20, 2022, 09:59:28 PM
It's the Peerless #9 for me.  My favorite for inshore and bay fluke fishing.
Still on the lookout for a 1/0 Senator in fishable / fixable condition...anybody have one they'll part with?

Kal
I use a #9 for sheepshead and light surf casting when my surf rigs are quietly holding.  It's a fun reel.  It casts beautifully for me up to around 2 oz.  Try a 109, now that's an interesting thing to spin!  I'm looking for a 1/0 myself.  A scarce reel in decent condition or comfortable price for me.  I put together a parts list to build one and got hijacked into building a 99 instead!  The 99 parts kind of fell into my lap so I have one now.  I didn't realize the 99 was/is the platform for so many variations still used today.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jgp12000

I mostly freshwater fish, the peerless 9 does it for me, and can handle most anything I go after. I have 3 vintage and one new one. The USA made ones seem to be better even with their age.

CooldadE

For me it's the Jigmaster ! Simple, strong and versatile. 2 standard sizes and 3 custom variants. Tons of upgrade parts and simple enough that even I can work on them. Oh yea, quick change spools also !

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Wompus Cat

I pretty much look for the ones that have PENN on them .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

54bobby

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 11, 2021, 05:55:02 PM716 Greenie or Z
Hard choice,  Greenie probably because it looks more vintage than the Z

Jenx

For modern reels I own multiple Fathoms and Slammers.

For vintage Penn reels I have a hard time passing up any reasonably priced 525 MAG or Baja Special, even if I don't need them.

I probably own enough NOS parts to completely build a new 720 (Blue), so that was once a soft spot as well.

thorhammer

I forgot about the International's, somehow. The Gen II, 30STW with 50lb mono is about as good all-around troller in my neck of the woods as there was- will kill about anything stand-up unless one was targeting blue marlin or BFT specifically...

handi2

Quote from: Shellbelly on January 31, 2022, 02:45:43 AM
Quote from: kjdunne on January 20, 2022, 09:59:28 PMIt's the Peerless #9 for me.  My favorite for inshore and bay fluke fishing.
Still on the lookout for a 1/0 Senator in fishable / fixable condition...anybody have one they'll part with?

Kal
I use a #9 for sheepshead and light surf casting when my surf rigs are quietly holding.  It's a fun reel.  It casts beautifully for me up to around 2 oz.  Try a 109, now that's an interesting thing to spin!  I'm looking for a 1/0 myself.  A scarce reel in decent condition or comfortable price for me.  I put together a parts list to build one and got hijacked into building a 99 instead!  The 99 parts kind of fell into my lap so I have one now.  I didn't realize the 99 was/is the platform for so many variations still used today.

I gave Fred a mint Penn 1/0 to fill his collection
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

I had the opportunity to buy a 1/0 for like $30. It stayed on CL for like a month and a half. But it was a 2+ hours drive and I still wish I'd jumped on it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Surfrat

I love the Penn Jigmaster, Surfmaster, and Squidder series because they have the one screw take a part and the endless mods. The Penn Surfmaster hits my weak spot especially the 200. ::) I grew up wanting a Squidder but I couldn't afford it at the time so I bought a Surfmaster. I fell in love with the Surfmaster! I have caught many larger snappers and all kinds of fish on it. I recently built a Penn Surfmaster 250 to narrow it down to a Jigmaster 501 size. I am still looking for a 49 reel stand for it or get someone to drill the holes on the 180 stand because my hands are not young anymore.  :o Shaky when you get old...

Finest Kind

Quote from: Surfrat on February 19, 2023, 12:28:34 PMI love the Penn Jigmaster, Surfmaster, and Squidder series because they have the one screw take a part and the endless mods. The Penn Surfmaster hits my weak spot especially the 200. ::) I grew up wanting a Squidder but I couldn't afford it at the time so I bought a Surfmaster. I fell in love with the Surfmaster! I have caught many larger snappers and all kinds of fish on it. I recently built a Penn Surfmaster 250 to narrow it down to a Jigmaster 501 size. I am still looking for a 49 reel stand for it or get someone to drill the holes on the 180 stand because my hands are not young anymore.  :o Shaky when you get old...
I totally agree about the Surfmaster! I wanted a Squidder really bad back in around 1970, but with my after school job, it would have been about a weeks pay. Even the 200 Surfmaster was a stretch, but I bit the bullet, meanwhile I still have it, retired now after catching a lot of fish that were really way too big for it!
Best, John

Rancanfish

Quote from: Surfrat on February 19, 2023, 12:28:34 PMI love the Penn Jigmaster, Surfmaster, and Squidder series because they have the one screw take a part and the endless mods. The Penn Surfmaster hits my weak spot especially the 200. ::) I grew up wanting a Squidder but I couldn't afford it at the time so I bought a Surfmaster. I fell in love with the Surfmaster! I have caught many larger snappers and all kinds of fish on it. I recently built a Penn Surfmaster 250 to narrow it down to a Jigmaster 501 size. I am still looking for a 49 reel stand for it or get someone to drill the holes on the 180 stand because my hands are not young anymore.  :o Shaky when you get old...
Are you talking a narrow stand for the surfy 100 or 501 jigmaster stand?  LMK if you need one. (30-49).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

I have to say any of the H series Senators, something about the red plates and chrome rings.  Of the H series the 112H is my Achilles' tendon, it was the first Penn I bought.  Funny though, I never really cared for the Jigmasters but now have too many to count.  Oh can't forget any of the reels in the 49 series too.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D