Spiral wrap on rail rod / Yay or Nay

Started by CooldadE, November 24, 2021, 01:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

What is the consensus on a spiral wrapped rail rod ? Yay or Nay ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Keta

YAY, once you try them it is hard to go back.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

otownjoe

I build all my heavy rods spiral wrapped with a long front grip for setting it on the rail. I fish party boats exclusively and setting the rod on a high rail and turning the handle is so much easier. It also aids in getting the fish to the boat faster which is crucial on a boat where tangles are inevitable.

Ron Jones

I've fished quite a few now, it just doesn't make a lot of difference to me. I have a suspicion that that is because I am left handed.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Cor

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 24, 2021, 06:50:18 AM
I've fished quite a few now, it just doesn't make a lot of difference to me. I have a suspicion that that is because I am left handed.

The Man

Some time back following some comment here I partially rebuilt one of my lighter boat rods of about 8 ft and a bit, to a spiral wrap as a test.
It works fine, casts fine but any benefit?    Not that I can tell.

I feel same as Ron and I am not left handed, in fact cast ambidextrously.

Perhaps with a stronger blank I would feel it.
Cornelis

alantani

i have both and i am good with either one.  honestly never noticed the difference, other than when i had to bundle them together!!!!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

I've caught cows on both standard and acid wrapped rail rods.  I didn't notice any difference between them.  I didn't have twisting problems on the standard wrapped rod.  I've had a couple of acid wrapped rods for 20 years and haven't really noticed any difference or benefit with them... other than the comments you get using them!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on November 24, 2021, 04:42:41 PM
  I've had a couple of acid wrapped rods for 20 years and haven't really noticed any difference or benefit with them... other than the comments you get using them!

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 24, 2021, 06:50:18 AM
I've fished quite a few now, it just doesn't make a lot of difference to me.The Man

Quote from: Cor on November 24, 2021, 12:59:15 PM
Perhaps with a stronger blank I would feel it.

Quote from: alantani on November 24, 2021, 04:24:40 PM
i have both and i am good with either one.  honestly never noticed the difference, other than when i had to bundle them together!!!!  ;D

and thats why I built two 130lb rods one acid wrapped and one with the guides wrapped the standard way.
I havent used them as much as I would like to, so dont have a legit comment on which feels better but both ways are comfortable to use.
The Baja Guy

handi2

If you don't like your reel twisting to the side then use a spiral wrapped rod. All of my bottom rods are this way.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sabaman1

Acid wrapped or spiral seems to have the best effect when slow pitch jigging mainly to keep tip of rod clear from line wrapping around it while jigging.
Otherwise I feel getting your spline aligned perfectly and proper guides and placement as well as reel seat is of more importance in wrapping a
conventional rail rod. I think rod twisting is most common in factory wrapped vs custom wrapped also proper reel match is of great importance. Rail
rodding has evolved into using smaller profile narrower reels with depth being just as important. Also acid wraps just might be very desirable in building
a jig stick.
JIM

CooldadE

Thanks for all the input ! I picked up a Rainshadow RCTB76XXH 50-130 blank at HI's Tackle Box. I'm going with a Spiral wrap and Alps components. Get But Outdoors has 20% off Black Friday promo on Alps components I'll utilize.  I spoke to Karry Batson of Batson Enterprises about the blank and he sent me a blueprint for the blank in the spiral wrapped configuration.
It contains a detailed component list with guide spacing and offsets for the transition guide placement also. This will be my Christmas present to myself... Hmm... what reel ? 16 , 20 ? Mak or Int ??? I know Alan loves the Maks... Im leaning toward the VISX.  Maybe a Valentines gift for myself ?

Cool

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

handi2

Quote from: CooldadE on November 25, 2021, 04:44:18 PM
Thanks for all the input ! I picked up a Rainshadow RCTB76XXH 50-130 blank at HI's Tackle Box. I'm going with a Spiral wrap and Alps components. Get But Outdoors has 20% off Black Friday promo on Alps components I'll utilize.  I spoke to Karry Batson of Batson Enterprises about the blank and he sent me a blueprint for the blank in the spiral wrapped configuration.
It contains a detailed component list with guide spacing and offsets for the transition guide placement also. This will be my Christmas present to myself... Hmm... what reel ? 16 , 20 ? Mak or Int ??? I know Alan loves the Maks... Im leaning toward the VISX.  Maybe a Valentines gift for myself ?

Cool

I think it's great that they provide the extra information on building the rod. I would go with the Makaira!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL