Golden Gate Bridge report

Started by the rockfish ninja, December 04, 2021, 01:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Apparently California has a few different Halibuts
here is a California Halibut With left side eyeballs  and no ridge on the Dorsal like yours.

And here is a California Halibut with Right sided Eyeballs and a distinctive Raised Ridge on the Dorsal .

I wonder if one is Male and the other is Female or one is Ambi Finnerous.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jurelometer

PS-Halle is pushing 60 now, I think there's a rule against mentioning granny age derrieres....  :o

Should women over 50 be ashamed of their bodies? Who came up with that rule?

Just saw a photo posted on IG by Ms Berry for her birthday last year. In a swimsuit. On a skateboard.  From behind.    Don't think there are many members here that could pull off a similar photo.   Glass houses and all...
I am not a fan of posting cheesecake, so you can look it up yourself if you get tired of looking at left and right eyed flatfish.  Just do a search on Halle Berry skateboard.

-J

jurelometer

Back on topic (almost) now...

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 05, 2021, 12:34:54 AM

Two.

I think that the first photo is a California Halibut, but second photo might be a juvenile Pacific Halibut.

-J

Ron Jones

Quote from: jurelometer on December 05, 2021, 01:49:14 AM

Yep

Two.

I think that the first photo is a California Halibut, but second photo might be a juvenile Pacific Halibut.

-J
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Wompus Cat

Quote from: jurelometer on December 05, 2021, 01:49:14 AM

Two.

-J

Halle is a Goddess ! and at 55 she is a Martial Artist .

The two pics I posted are from Piers in California.

Maxed Out

Fure sure neither of those pictured are Pacific halibut. Both look like California butt to me.

Nice last cast Mr Ninja !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

the rockfish ninja

I only said that about Halle out of respect for mature women  ...... ;D

... and yea, that first pic is dead on, but the second looks strange, no mottled color, kinda small almost not legal size from what I see.

In 2019 & 2020 I did a little commercial fishing for them and before that caught a lot of them and never seen a right eye Hali, even though the DFG site & others say they exist.
I know most of the party boat and commercial guys at the Wharf, I'm going to survey them, see if they've seen any. I'll post what they tell me.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

q3fishboy

Here you go (picture of both right and left eyed halibut).

I caught both of these fish from Santa Cruz Wharf.

I have seen similar pictures of both from within San Francisco Bay.

Hopefully the picture works - I get an error: upload folder full?

jurelometer

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 05, 2021, 03:54:10 AM
Fure sure neither of those pictured are Pacific halibut. Both look like California butt to me.

Nice last cast Mr Ninja !!

I think you may be right.  I thought the fin was sort of diamond shaped, but looking more closely, it was probably just the wind. 

Last cast rules!

-J

Dominick

I wonder if one is Male and the other is Female or one is Ambi Finnerous.

;D ;D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

the rockfish ninja

After talking with a couple of the commercial Halibut captains at the Wharf they confirm almost exactly what some of the fish ID websites say. Even though they are from the left eye family, about 40% have right sided eyes, the very same number from the DFG website.

I still have never seen one, I better go out and start jigging around to find one.

Benni3

Great job,,,, ;) here we call them door mats,,,,,,, ;D

Wompus Cat

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on December 05, 2021, 09:23:35 PM
After talking with a couple of the commercial Halibut captains at the Wharf they confirm almost exactly what some of the fish ID websites say. Even though they are from the left eye family, about 40% have right sided eyes, the very same number from the DFG website.

I still have never seen one, I better go out and start jigging around to find one.

I would like to see one with Eyes on Both Sides ::)   ::)

Brewcrafter

Yes, they can be left or right, but definitely are biased.  As far as the "California Halibut" versus "Pacific Halibut" they are pretty distinguishable.  Pacific Halibut are more northern (but can be caught in California) and tend to get much bigger and run deeper.  And their tails (among other items) are different.  Look at Gary the Butt Man's videos - those are Pacific Halibut.  California Halibut don't exist up there (and start to get scarce in NorCal above the Bay area).  As far as differentiating between either variety of halibut vs. Sand Dab, large starry flounder, etc - it is pretty easy.  Lip the fish and if you lose your thumb - it's a halibut (serious teeth) that the other species don't have. - john

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 06, 2021, 01:01:58 AM
Quote from: the rockfish ninja on December 05, 2021, 09:23:35 PM

I would like to see one with Eyes on Both Sides ::)   ::)

Here U go