PENN 970, 980, 990 MAG POWER REELS - PARTS INTERCHANGABILITY & MODIFICATIONS ???

Started by ez2cdave, December 04, 2021, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

NEWS FLASH!!!

A shim/new plates/new frame may not be needed for resolving the broken plate issue!!!

It may be all in the screws!!!

Will make a separate post on this.

thorhammer

Hey Dave, Magpowers have three hole per side stands vs. 2 on the -200 stands. It's part of what makes them strong- along with solid crossbars and the stepped rings, to stand the upsized gearing. 970 is a narrow 980 and about the diameter of a Squidder, while the 990 is a different animal- maybe a hair larger than a 500 Jiggy. Obviously these were pre-braid, but man, a narrow 990 would be a jigging winch for 65 or 80 braid with the strength and drive train. I believe the 990 actually shared some parts with the 349, maybe the sleeve- in terms of upgrades, carbon fiber and an SS sleev are all one needs.The jiggy bars have the same hole pattern, and in some editions the Mags have the ported jiggy bars vs. the Mag-badged aluminum. Newell bars for jiggy's fit too. I met a guy at OBX last month that told me Penn had told him those reels would cost 600 bucks now, made in USA. Dunno if that's accurate but they sold for about 140 in the 80's and 90's if memory serves. Remember I live 45 minutes from you :)

Any 113H size handle fits all three sleeves- I put one of Ted's black 4/0 arms and a black knob on one of mine and it's great. Also, I drilled out a 24-57 and out on a black aluminum ball knob. That one is my go-to on 980 drum rod. I put a counter balanced black paddle handle from a 25GLS or 330GTI on the 970, much better for this reel than the International keg style originally on it.

John

ReelFishingProblems

I pulled apart a 980 this week to service and upgrade. They are such great reels.
Mine still has the 3 HT-100 drag washers. It will need the 5-stack upgrade and stainless sleeve. Probably time to swap out the reel clamp as well for better looks. Currently using a counter balanced 320 handle with a black blade. Might update just the knob or the whole thing. Not sure yet. A good star upgrade wouldn't hurt either.

I know it won't fit, but if Ted had a reel stand for these in black or gold, it would be a beautiful addition.

After this, it will be time to dig into the 990

Nick