Penn Reel for Seven Strand Wire?

Started by HOLYSTEEL, January 26, 2012, 01:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Whalebreath,

I have to tell ya... I was slightly annoyed by your comment, and took it a little personal even though I don't think it was directed at me.  They're many possible reasons why someone might not want more downriggers, but you should re-read Holy Steel's original post if that's who you were speaking to with your comment (why not learn how to use downriggers and be a sport fisherman?)... 1) maybe he doesn't wanna clutter every bit of gunnel (he has some riggers already), 2) maybe he doesn't have the funds, 3) maybe he doesn't wanna put any more holes in his boat, 4) maybe he wants to try something new, 5) maybe he likes fishing with dipsey divers (I do), 6) maybe it works best with the configuration of his boat.  There are probably 20 more answers to your question, but whatever they are, they're his reasons.  He didn't ask us whether or not it was sporting to fish with wire or downriggers, he simply asked for some reel advice.  
    So, you don't think it's sporting to use wire?... you have a better chance on bringing a fish to the boat with mono than wire.  Yes, the wire is stronger, (still has a lb. test) however there are more obstacles when fishing wire (IMO).  Such as: kinks, corrosion, connections, no level wind (must self wind with thumb),  break off's are much more time consuming to fix, etc.
    Don't sport fisherman (fisherman who fishes for pleasure or in tournaments) throw there fish back unless necessary for proof or weigh in? ... hope all yours go back ;)  So, if we use wire and catch and release were not sport fisherman, but if you use mono and keep fish then you are?  ??? Okee-do-kee... Well, I suppose I'm not a sport fisherman cause I love my wire and throwing all my fish back  :-X
I will try to post the full tutorial on my wire to dacron connections in the next couple days for Whalebreath  ;D
Have fun with the wire boys,
Dom