Rewrapping a Lamiglas MB1083M rod

Started by ReelFishingProblems, December 18, 2021, 06:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hello all,

I've had a Lamiglas MB108 3M honey colored fiberglass rod for about two years now. Somewhere in its history the tip was broken so a new tiptop was put on it. The rod is now a few inches short of it's 9' length.

The old guides are in decent shape but I'm thinking of replacing them when I strip everything down to fix the spacing issue and reposition guides for the new characteristics of an unprofessionally shortened blank.

This rod is currently paired with a pristine Spinfisher 700 with upgraded CF washers.

What guides would you recommend that retain a classic look but have some benefit of modern technology?
I will probably only use mono on this rod.

JasonGotaProblem

EBay is chock full of Fuji hardloy guides. Kinda retro but not quite ancient.

Or just go with fuji LY guides and L series runners.

Lovely find. I want one
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Swami805

I like single foot guides on light spinning rods, improves the action too. If it's a wall hanger and you want it original you can find those guides on Ebay
Do what you can with that you have where you are

philaroman

ReelFishingProblems

Thank you all for the suggestions.

The reason I haven't done anything to this rod yet is because of my internal conflicts.

I really love the vintage look when paired with the old spinfisher. It is a thing of beauty. If I refurbish it to stay vintage looking, I would still want to break it out to soak the line a few times and would want it to be very functional.

The other side of me thinks this is a great blank and needs to be given the modern touch and fished hard.

I have 2 1/2 years until I'm back in the US, so I have time to kick ideas around before setting down one path over the other.

I tend to think those recoil guides will keep this looking period perfect while letting me continue to fish it. I may not have as many setups as lots of folks on here (John, I'm looking at you) but I have more than enough modern rods to get any job done.

I need to do some more reading on those recoil guides

Nick

thorhammer

I have a few sets of brand new Fuji of the old aluminum oxide type with glow-in-dark shock rings they used in the 70-90's. Not sure if they're too heavy for this blank but I'd happily send you a set if you like- I think I cobbled together 5-6 sets years ago and have yet to use one. I think 50-30-20-16-12-12 as I recall. You could single wrap them (with finish) as sort-of temporary build until you decide finally. Lemme know- I owe you one on the reel seats!

oldmanjoe

My 2 cents  , Build it so you can fish it .   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 19, 2021, 03:46:25 PM
  My 2 cents  , Build it so you can fish it .   

Yep. Maybe black Fuji V-frame torzite or something- whatever the new BSVLG is...braid ready but still look retro, vs. K frame. Wrap to match the reel. You are of course welcome to my Fuji's, they are just heavy, being v frame with a center brace. Durable tho.