Penn Jigmaster 500 Upgrades

Started by dusdau, December 22, 2021, 12:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Quote from: scrinch on December 22, 2021, 04:16:10 AM
Yeah, having the same Jigmaster for 30 years for many guys here is like having the same axe for 30 years...only replaced the handle 5 times and the head twice!

Well I did Keep the Handle Nut on the Red Jiggy so it has some original parts .

I do have a few completely stock Reels .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

thorhammer

The plastic spools were designed to cast dacron back in the day, as I recall, and did it quite well. Mono constricts under tension and blows the plastic spools. Alumium spool and new drags and you are are prolly at 65 bucks. New one can be had for 80; but this one you know you did the work, and learned along the way (for the next one you buy, lol). I started off with just one, as well, once upon a time, as did Sal, Ted, and a bunch of us. Prolly got 50 by now, counting 501, 505, 506, Cortez, PC, 99, 250's. 

John

Wompus Cat

Here ar some pix he sent .
First LOOKS like there are washers on both sides of his Star so prob can leave out the inner one.

Next the ol drags are shot for sure as well as the metals  AND looks like there is still a Disk stuck in the Gear .

RowdyW

When changing to CF drags either the 3 stack or 5 stack set up I have found that you have to shorten the spacer sleeve about .035-.045".         Rudy

dusdau

Quote from: RowdyW on December 22, 2021, 04:08:17 PM
When changing to CF drags either the 3 stack or 5 stack set up I have found that you have to shorten the spacer sleeve about .035-.045".         Rudy

Thanks. I have two shorter options on the way as a matter of fact.

dusdau

Quote from: Wompus Cat on December 22, 2021, 04:01:56 PM
Here ar some pix he sent .
First LOOKS like there are washers on both sides of his Star so prob can leave out the inner one.

Next the ol drags are shot for sure as well as the metals  AND looks like there is still a Disk stuck in the Gear .

Thanks for posting these pics. I appreciate it. I broke it down last week, and it looks like it, but there are no washers by the wheel. I put the wheel on and then right after that the handle. And on the inside that's the spacing sleeve protruding out a bit. I do have two shorter options of that part (key 9) on the way. The drag washer in the gear came out fairly freely, and I had put it back in to start stacking as one of them goes first, and then took the pic. Also have new HT-100 full set coming as well.

Wompus Cat

Sounds like you have it under control and with the extra Spacers or grind one down like Jo said you should be able to get what you want.

dusdau

Quote from: thorhammer on December 22, 2021, 02:57:56 PM
The plastic spools were designed to cast dacron back in the day, as I recall, and did it quite well. Mono constricts under tension and blows the plastic spools. Alumium spool and new drags and you are are prolly at 65 bucks. New one can be had for 80; but this one you know you did the work, and learned along the way (for the next one you buy, lol). I started off with just one, as well, once upon a time, as did Sal, Ted, and a bunch of us. Prolly got 50 by now, counting 501, 505, 506, Cortez, PC, 99, 250's. 

John

Thanks for the background. I think I have a stainless steel 26-250 spool tracked down.

dusdau

John

dusdau

Quote from: dusdau on December 22, 2021, 04:55:36 PM

John

Found stainless steel one for $18. Looks in pretty good shape.

thorhammer

Chrome over brass- but perfectly strong enough. Since it's three piece, put a few yards of braid or dacron on the spool first, then tie into your mono (I assume you're using mono to fish; if you fill the whole thing with braid then no matter). If you need some dacron I prolly have some but you wont get it til after Christmas, obviously.

That's a nice red 24-66 knob ya got.

FYI- the brass washers chamfer out very smooth by rubbing on 400 grit or so sandpaper, and finish with 800/ 1000 wet dry paper with a shot of oil. That's a steel gear, which is great. Should you continue to upgrade, next steps if were me would be SS sleeve, power handle, and maybe solid cross bars. Someone around here may have a set from conversions. Full frame and plate kits are bee's knees, without a doubt, but prolly not needed for what your gonna do.

John

dusdau

Quote from: thorhammer on December 22, 2021, 06:39:55 PM
Chrome over brass- but perfectly strong enough. Since it's three piece, put a few yards of braid or dacron on the spool first, then tie into your mono (I assume you're using mono to fish; if you fill the whole thing with braid then no matter). If you need some dacron I prolly have some but you wont get it til after Christmas, obviously.

That's a nice red 24-66 knob ya got.

FYI- the brass washers chamfer out very smooth by rubbing on 400 grit or so sandpaper, and finish with 800/ 1000 wet dry paper with a shot of oil. That's a steel gear, which is great. Should you continue to upgrade, next steps if were me would be SS sleeve, power handle, and maybe solid cross bars. Someone around here may have a set from conversions. Full frame and plate kits are bee's knees, without a doubt, but prolly not needed for what your gonna do.

John

I had asked the seller for the box sticker info, because I thought maybe it was chrome over brass like you say. Pretty new to this world, but seemed to be. But decided since it was in great shape, and $18, I'd just buy it. Thanks for the spooling tips for that one. Haven't decided mono, flouro, or braid yet. I have braid on two baitcasters and a spinner now, but buddy who seems to know goes with mono on the baitcasters and conventional reels. Also looks like if I hit the Gulf mono or flouro are more commonly used.

Gfish

Here's some pictures I had. 1)HT-100(part# 6-309) from Penn.
2) cheap upgrade would be a #10-66 drag star, which is larger—but also thicker! I think it's worth it to use this one, but you might haveta shave the drag spacer a bit more. It fits on the 98-60 gear sleeve you have.
Just to think about, the 10-505 drag star is a fine thread unit that fits on a better/stronger stainless steel gear sleeve—the 98-505. This set-up would give you more star adjustability.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

#2)
Tap on pic. to enlarge
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

dusdau

Quote from: Gfish on December 22, 2021, 08:43:04 PM
#2)
Tap on pic. to enlarge

Nice, thanks for the pics and input. My washers are definitely worn. HT-100 kit on the way. I'm sure I'll catch a little bug like everyone else seems to have on these.