Mercruiser electric pumps

Started by Donnyboat, December 31, 2021, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi every one, the boat motor cut out out at sea, yesterday, I have a water separating unit, between the fuel tank & the motor, the unit had a bit of sludge in it but nothing major, then there is another filter just before the electric pump, that filter looked a bit black, so I change both of the filters, we turnt the motor over for some time, with know luck of starting.
      So we took the electric pump apart, there was a fair bit of water in it, & the filter between the two pistons had a heap of crap around it, we removed that, but we did not have any fuel to test the pump with, so we used water, & it was pushing the water very quick, so after getting all the water out, we place ed the pump together, & tried to start the motor again, with know luck, could it be possible that the, water cooling unit around the pump has rusted through, & the sea water is entering the pump throu there, its a 305, 5 ltr motor, with fuel injection, we had to get sea rescue to take us about 30 Kms back to port, doe anyone have any experience, with these pumps, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

ouch, not nice to get towed back over that distance.

Beyond sympathising with what happened I can't help on the motor, sorry mate.

Good luck with locating the problem, may take till next year! ;D
Cornelis

Donnyboat

Good thanks Cor, I will be right onto it as soon as I can clear jobs of the work bench, I don`t like the thought of water siting in the injecters any longer than possible, happy new year every one, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

I understand the Water seperator concept however your water cooled Fuel pump throws me .Never seen a rig like that ?
Send me some pics if you can of the hook up .
IF you have a fuel pump with water hooked to it for cooling then depending on the internals it could conceivably corrode through similarly like a transmission cooler in a automobiles radiator .
First and Foremost is to purge the injectors somehow and there are different types of those  as in opening pressures ,fuel distribution manifolds etc. Water in any amount will damage the entire fuel distribution system and ENGINE more especially SALT WATER  

What I do on injection systems is to either remove them and clean them with my pressure tester  and then remove the spark plugs and spin the engine over to get any water out of the cylinders then before hooking the fuel line back up ensure only good clean fuel is coming to it
I can not CAUTION you enough on the mishaps of doing this in a scenario you most likely have with a boat engine in an enclosure such as you probably have to deal with .

......BAD BAD Bad.....

I also highly recommend to clean the supply source you are pumping the Fuel From . Which would be another s.tory 
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

Yer I don`t recall a water cool fuel pump .     Maybe this will help 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Thanks for all the warnings billy, I watched a u tube on the fuel injection set up, the carbie had a lot of water in it, with a bloked jet in it, the bloke painstakingly stripped the carbie, blue all the jets out before it would start, they did not mention about taking the spark plugs out, but would be a good idea, I will do that, thanks Billy. check the u tube that Joe posted, looks the same set up as ours,
      Thank you joe, we did not know there was a filter below the filter in that area, it looks to be the same sett up that is in my motor,or should I say Pats motor concidering, its not starting, ha haa, I collected up a big heep of gerry cans, to drain the fuel tank early this morning, thankfully, they are forcasting a cool day, for working in the boat, cheers all, thanks Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Yepper that u-tube is REELY GOOD thanks to Joe for a good idea of your system .

How is 2022 Down there .
We got JUST under 11 more hours before we can join ya in Texas .
Not REEL sure I wanna.......................lol

Donnyboat

Thanks Billy, I had a big day yesterday, went to sleep infront of the TV about 10:30 Pm, woke up about 1:15 Am. I said to the wife this morning, why did`nt you wake me @ midnight, she said she went to bed @ 10 Pm her self, it is now 7:35 Am here it forcast for a nice cool 29 C today. your not sounding very possitive Billy, hope every thing is okay in your world.
      Yes many thanks to Joe for your u-tube on the motor, I did not know the was a filter under the filter near the electric pump, so that is a great help, thanks again Joe.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Glad it worked out , I was not sure if you had a low pressure or high pressure fuel system .     Happy New Year ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Donnyboat on December 31, 2021, 11:40:42 PM
Thanks Billy, I had a big day yesterday, went to sleep infront of the TV about 10:30 Pm, woke up about 1:15 Am. I said to the wife this morning, why did`nt you wake me @ midnight, she said she went to bed @ 10 Pm her self, it is now 7:35 Am here it forcast for a nice cool 29 C today. your not sounding very possitive Billy, hope every thing is okay in your world.
      Yes many thanks to Joe for your u-tube on the motor, I did not know the was a filter under the filter near the electric pump, so that is a great help, thanks again Joe.

EVERYTHING is DIDGERY DOO here Mate ;D
I don't want another year like the last 2 is what I meant to Convey .
I promised my self to do MORE FISHUN in 2022 .
2 hours and about 40 minutes to NEW YEAR HERE .

Donnyboat

Thanks Billy & Joe, as fore casted, we have had a nice cool 27C here most of the day, apprentice Patricia & I, siphoned, the fuel out of the tank today, we had 6, 20 ltr container almost full, before the hose stopped siphoning, then I managed to get my granddaughters partner Ben, to give me a hand, to lift the tank out then prop it up, with the filling hose inlet pointing upwards, then I managed to cable tye the hose to an old peice of fishing rod, then we place it into the bottom corner of the tank, with the other end of the hose out throu the bilge bung hole, so the hose was not to high, then I blue into the hose & almost sucked my eye balls out, we managed to get about 3 cups full of fuel & water out of the tank, mostly water, so apprentice Patty done a good job this morning, & I did not have to call her Patrishit once, what a great new year we are having, I hope it will continue,?.
      then we managed to clean any corrosion up with a wire brush, then sprayed it with, Dilux metalic shield, bright zinc paint, including the hose, inlet spout & the breather spout, gave it about an hour to dry, then coated it with Yamaha marine grease, & placed the tank back into it original position. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Good for you and your Helpers . Thats the way to do it !!!

At this point I would see if I could rig a bottle or can to hook up to the inlet side of pump and put some fuel conditioner in it then with the spark plugs removed put some towels around the heads and spin the engine through to spit out all the crap in the injectors and cylinders .Won't hurt at all to mix some automatic trans fluid or BEST is to get some Marvel Mystery Oil to the solution .
Put everything back together add GOOD Fuel ,purge the air out and go for a Boat Ride.

Donnyboat

that looks like a good idea Billy, should be didgery doo Mate, your starting to sound like an Aussie, you know the reason why we call each other Mate, its because were to dense to remember a persons name, ha haa, I will follow your last suggestion, I want to take the fuel pump out first, as my friend Rick, when we were out @ sea, took the internals of the fuel pump out, maybe I should replace the rubber casket in it, as the first move, & if I can get the carbie out, & remove the sludge from it, & maybe clean the jets out, cheer for now Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 01, 2022, 04:26:01 PM
that looks like a good idea Billy, should be didgery doo Mate, your starting to sound like an Aussie, you know the reason why we call each other Mate, its because were to dense to remember a persons name, ha haa, I will follow your last suggestion, I want to take the fuel pump out first, as my friend Rick, when we were out @ sea, took the internals of the fuel pump out, maybe I should replace the rubber casket in it, as the first move, & if I can get the carbie out, & remove the sludge from it, & maybe clean the jets out, cheer for now Don.

If it is Fuel Injected it doesn't have a Carbie and depending on what year you have it can have a variety of Fuel Distribution options .
If you can shoot us a pic of the top of the engine it would help to determine just what you have.
e-mail the pic and I will post it if you need to

Dominick

Donny, does your area put ethanol in the gasoline?  If so that could be your problem.  Google "phase separation."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.