Heavy duty reel seats on a spinner

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 17, 2022, 01:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Quote from: Gfish on January 20, 2022, 07:25:52 PM
The Alps reference from sciaenops looks pretty tough(wonder what G-22 means), darn expensive though.

Looks like a mimic of the Fuji DPS-H that has been around for a long time.

sciaenops

QuoteLooks like a mimic of the Fuji DPS-H that has been around for a long time

This. Like I said, I have no experience with their graphite components, but have plenty of Batson/Alps metal stuff on my rods. Very good quality/value imo. Time will tell on my spinner....

QuoteInsert Quote
The Alps reference from sciaenops looks pretty tough(wonder what G-22 means), darn expensive though.

?? at $6?

Gfish

Ok. Looked at the wrong #. $6 seems great if it's as tuff as it looks.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

bought 4 or 5 alps tip tops @ 20% off, but 1 had defect -- bump/deformity on actual ceramic ring  :o
considering low price, not worth returning, but so much for 20% savings...  still good price/quality for remaining tip tops
HOWEVER, a guide is easily examined before and/or replaced after install...  would HATE same scenario w/ seat

JasonGotaProblem

Not gonna lie if fuji had a metal reel seat i likely woulda just ordered it without starting this wonderful thread. It was moving away from fuji that drew the question to begin with.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oldmanjoe

Have you looked at Lakeland  reel seats ?     They come brass  and Aluminum .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MarkT

All three of my Black Hole spinners (s801h, ccs86n, ccs80g rods) have Fuji graphite reel seats and (Gosa 10k, TP 14k, Mak 20k reels) and I suspect I use them with higher drag than most with no issues.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Jeri

Apart from all the surf rods we have built for the last 16 years or more. Looked at some of my older personal rods the other day, back when we did a lot more boat fishing - again all Fuji of various denominations - what stuck out were a pair of stand-up sticks that were truly 50lb class which we used up in Angola for Tarpon and Marlin from the boat - both built with Fuji DPS-H and they were paired with Shimano Tiagra 30 2 speed - we took some huge fish on those rods with massive drag, Tarpon over 200lbs and Marlin up to 500lbs, never an issue with the reel seats, and that was 20 years ago.

Looked further into the really dusty stuff, found the first rod I even built, and noticed a DPS reel seat with cushions, and those nasty lumi-shock guides - that was over 40 years ago.

You never really appreciate the value of quality products until you have experienced them standing the test of time.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JasonGotaProblem

While we got this informative thread going does anyone have experience with fuji LDB series guides on an offshore spinner? As opposed to a double footed guide.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

Jeri

Quote from: MarkT on January 22, 2022, 04:57:37 AM
You get Tarpon down your way?

They get them in most waters from northern Angola right up to Guinea Bisset. We used to fish for them in the waters around two rivers south of Luanda, the Kwanza and the Rio Longa. Both are breeding areas for Tarpon, and Rio Longa system is a known nursery, with fish from small fry right up to 8-10kgs, when they leave the river system they take up a more marine life style, migrating up and down the coast according to season. Some very big fish have been had from the Kwanza - up to 240+kgs. My wife and I were the first anglers to catch them in the Rio Longa area after the civil war ended - 20 odd years ago.

Jeri

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 22, 2022, 05:16:51 PM
While we got this informative thread going does anyone have experience with fuji LDB series guides on an offshore spinner? As opposed to a double footed guide.

We use KT style single leg guides with most of our hybrid design systems for surf rods, especially in the smaller sizes as running guides after a reduction set of LC guides. We find the KT plenty strong enough and don't need the extra weight of LDB.

boon

None of my heavy duty spin rods have even one single foot guide on them.

Jeri

Built some specific heavy duty spinning rods for some guys in Australia that were spinning big lures for Yellowtail from the rocks. We found a suitable blank at the time, and then experimented with various guide configurations. First attempt was full KW two leg guides as the guys were using 50lb+ braid, and while the rod did work, it had some issues, we then took onboard a build on the same blank that was full KR concept, with KW guides first, then KT for the running guides, and that seemed to liberate a lot more power and distance performance from the blank. Ultimately we tried an idea we use on our long surf rods, by switching out the KW guides for smaller LC guides, just 3 of them, and retained the KT running guides - worked like a dream - no line wrapping events around the first guide and plenty of distance for throwing lures in the 6-8oz range - but looked unorthodox. Gave the three options to the clients down in Australia, and two took the KW + KT options, one took the KW throughout, and just one took the LC+KT option. He was the most pleased with the performance results. The key step was changing the 2 leg running guides to single leg guides, as they seemed to 'find' power in the blank that had been hidden by the two leg guides.

Comes back to the old problem of what looks orthodox and conventional, compared to the un-orthodox - a bit like spiral wrapped rods.