Improving drag on Penn 112, feel not power

Started by Mrk1, January 30, 2022, 11:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrk1

I came across this board and it looks like the place to ask this question. The 112 is one of my go to reels but I want to try to improve the feel on the drag, its very on/off compared to my pair of US senators. I see internal upgrade parts around but I'm not really trying to turn this reel into something its not.

What part or combo of parts would help the adjustability on the drag?

Swami805

Are you using Cals drag grease and CF drag washers?  If not that will help a lot.  You could also lap the metal drag washers
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

I would start off with checking you present drags .     See if they are stuck together ,or need cleaning.   What frictions are in there now ?  
    Carbon fiber is a up grade for smoother drag profile .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Mrk1

thorhammer

Grease drags and lap metals first, then maybe fine thread gear sleeve and 505 drag star. This will allow more gradual drag ramp. Good reels.

Mrk1

RowdyW

Quote from: Mrk1 on January 31, 2022, 12:11:56 AM
Are my US113N reels a fine thread?
I would say yes but it is a special thread with no options for a different thread. The only options right now is either a ss sleeve or the original bronze sleeve. Also there is a reengineered bridge assembly available from Cortez Conversions who has a web site on this forum (Dealers) near the bottom of index. On your 112 another option is to lower the tension of the spring washers for a slower buildup of drag adjustment when adjusting the drag star but start with a fine threaded sleeve and star. Also make sure you have greased CF drag washers in the reel.         Rudy

Swami805

Cal's on the ht100 and lap the metals, should get you buttery smooth.  The us113N is a different animal  than a 112,not sure what the threads are.  The fine threads on the gear sleeve allows for finer adjustment of the star
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Most important for smooth operation is Delrin friction washer under the main gear, and also one on top of the stack. I put couple drops of thin oil on the under gear washer

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Is it a 112 or a 112H? Different drag washer size for each.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!