Easy Peesy assist hook tutorial.

Started by gstours, November 25, 2020, 03:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is about the easiest and or fastest method if seen yet. 
in the video advance to minutes 1:30 to 4:30    Any comments? ???

Cuttyhunker

Just a variation on the old fisherman's knot.  I tied it thousands of times on lobster trap lines, never failed or slipped, simple and trustworthy. I'll use it.
Doomed from childhood

jurelometer

Nothing wrong with the quick and dirty method in the video, but I think it can be improved on if you have a little more time.

I use a single overhand as well.   I no longer use some of the bulkier knots recommended elsewhere.  If the hook is headed toward a jaw corner hook set, which is common with top assist hooks, I don't want a big knob on the hook shank.  No more knot than is necessary is my motto.

I like to use hollow braid and make a spliced loop so that one leg is inside the other all the way to the end.  Tie to the hook the same way  that  the guy in the video does, and then use heavy  fly tying  thread to lash the tag to the shank.  I will coat the thread with whatever is handy, usually a quick drying UV coating. A shrink tube over the eye and knot is optional. 

The main problem to avoid with assist hooks is tangling with themselves, the mainline, or other assist hooks.  Splicing the loop into a single line helps minimize this.  Lashing down the tag prevents the braid from unraveling into the knot, and prevents other hooks or fish teeth from getting stuck on the unraveled tag.

The shrink tube makes it harder for another hook point to tangle with the knot, and can  provides chafing protection from fish teeth on the knot and where the line passes through the eye. It probably helps a little for passing the hook eve and knot hook over the jaw for a better corner hook set.    I like 3:1 adhesive marine heat shrink tube. I mostly use clear tubing, so that I can see if there is any rust going on underneath. I use the smallest ID  tube that will pass over the eye before shrinking.

I have been messing with assist hooks for only five years or so, but this is how I am doing it now.

-J

boon

That's more or less how I tie mine; with heavy kevlar I don't see how the knot can slip through the eye or come loose another way.

Only thing I do differently is that mine are always tied so that the loop comes out on the bend side of the shank; he goes "outward" which I think presents the hook less well. Each to their own, though.

gstours

Another variation of the assist knot is shown here starting about minutes 1:20 to 3;30 in the video below.

I agree with the idea to lash down or shrink tube the tag ends of the loop,    although if this is an impromptu idea to necessity the earlier single overhand will work just fine i think.   
  A few moments with the hook in a vice and a threaded bobbin, and an IPA will be also kinda therapeutic,  coating the threads will keep the hook looking good for a much longer time. :)

steelfish

cool vids Gary, I will just start to make my own assist hooks and I still on getting all the info before buying the hooks and Kevlar or 150-200 braid line for the assist hooks
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Amigo lemme know and I will send you a few yards of braid- no need to buy the spool unless you will use it elsewhere.