Penn 9/0 Spool Rub

Started by littlcor, January 22, 2022, 11:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlcor

All, I'll get it broken apart and take a few more pictures, check the bearings, and inspect the side plate again.  I did order a right-side bearing just to give it a shot, but it will take 2 weeks to get in.

The reel spool rubbing will cause a hard bind with enough pressure on the spool that simulates drag being pulled or a large lure.

UKChris1

This reminds me of something I read regarding frames distorting when distance beachcasting and the resultant impact on the spools' ability to spin properly. Wide reels were more prone to this.

Take the spool out and re-assemble the reel. Then place a pair of rulers across the frame posts so they jut out fore and aft. One ruler should be close to the left plate and the other close to the right plate.

If the frame is straight, the rulers will be aligned but if the frame is twisted one or other ruler will be higher than its friend. Obviously, longer rulers show this better.

As others have said, it is often the stand that gets distorted. For those little surfcasting reels like the 200 and 140, you can with care twist the frame back into alignment before re-fitting the spool. Not sure of you can do that with a 9/0!

Hope you get it fixed.