Maxel Hybrid 20 parts

Started by captquint99, March 14, 2022, 10:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captquint99

My pal wants to buy a Maxel Hybrid 20. I advised him that I don't know anything about this reel as I have not handled one. Anybody have experience with this reel? Who carries parts for this company in the USA? Are parts available? The reel will be used for bottom fishing.
Thanks

alantani

don't let him do it.  parts can be hard to find.  have him do a search and he'll see. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

I've very recently done a full service on one.

You would be hard-pressed to find a better made star drag reel. The insides are very impressive.

They have what I consider to be bordering on a design flaw... the stainless steel pinion gear runs on a nylon yoke. Over a not-terribly-long-time the sides of the teeth on the pinion basically mill away the yoke, until it is not thick enough to reliably get the reel into freespool, especially if it is under load.

In this part of the world the importer is very helpful and reliable for parts (at least for now) so no complaints there, but I can't speak to the US experience.

The last thing I would add is that it's a fairly dedicated slowpitch jig reel; there are possibly better candidates for a dedicated bottom fishing reel.

captquint99

So far, I have tried to contact two sources that I was directed to for parts with no luck. When I buy reels for my own use I make sure that parts are available.