Custom Penn Senator Spool

Started by capt. flint, March 17, 2022, 08:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. flint

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of someone on the forum that fabricates custom spools? I'm wanting to build a custom reel by using a Penn Senator 16/0...sacrilegious I know, but I have a few 16/0s so i can live with it. Anyways, what I'm specifically wanting to do is have a custom wider spool made.....maybe two. I just want something different that's unique. I'll also need frame posts and a rod stand made for it as well.

Thanks in advance

Bill B

You might try Randy Paulie.  He is Vintage Offshore Tackle and has connections with Tiburon, who made the custom 20/0 frames and spools.  It will be expensive.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

1badf350

Tiburon made 20 of them and will not be making any more
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Bill B

Quote from: 1badf350 on March 17, 2022, 11:12:24 PMTiburon made 20 of them and will not be making any more

The story I heard from the horses mouth was if Tiburon scrapped one spool they lost any profit to be made from that set. 

But for a custom spool Tiburon "might" be persuaded to make one, but the cost would  probably be like gas prices today...crazy expensive.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Maybe if you had 2 spools sacrifice one and use the center of the arbor to widen the other. Need to make a new spool shaft, maybe beefyer thru the spool to take the extra load and of course longer. Then longer posts and a stand. Otherwise a spool machined out of a block of aluminum
Couple guys on here that could do it I'm sure but would cost a bundle
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 18, 2022, 01:46:33 AM
Quote from: 1badf350 on March 17, 2022, 11:12:24 PMTiburon made 20 of them and will not be making any more

The story I heard from the horses mouth was if Tiburon scrapped one spool they lost any profit to be made from that set. 

But for a custom spool Tiburon "might" be persuaded to make one, but the cost would  probably be like gas prices today...crazy expensive.  Bill

The first one is the most expensive . After that it  has a digital profile in a Cad prog or whatever they use today . Then they are the cost of the material and mark up to cover labor and machine wear ,lights ,etc.....

True story and kind of related .
I had some bushings made to allow the use of a commonly available idler bearing /pulley
you could replace the Bearing in . This replacement pulley and bearing  was easily available at most any parts store and even hardware stores for less than 4 dollars
But the OEM Factory Mercedes Part was 80 Bux and the bearing was actually Crimped in the pulley where you could not replace it but had to buy the  Factory Pulley sooooooo since the id of the bearing was smaller than the pulleys I was using to replace them I had to have some bushing made    . First one was 350 dollars and three hundred of them  after that were $1.75 each. Install that lil jewell  in my aftermarket solid steel  4 dollar Pulley with replaceable $2.00 bearing and off to the Races  .
Still have some of those bushings......... This was 1978 when I had these made .
Much easier to do a run of them with today's CNC machines .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

A spool that looks OK on the shelf could be made from stock parts without too much difficulty.  Making one that can reliably stand up to the sort of abuse a 16/0 is designed for would be really expensive.

Makule

I used to extend Penn Senator 6/0, 4/0, and Pfleuger Templar reels.  The 6/0 were widened to 9/0 width, and the 4/0 were made to 6/0 width, although I've widened on to much wider than a 9/0.  The original spools were cut in half, a sleeve machined and the two sides pressed in and pinned.  Took a long time to do each one as it was very high precision (less than 0.001" interference fit). 
If you are not in a hurry for it, I could give it a try.
Depends on how wide you want it and whether you can get a reel seat.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

oldmanjoe

You may get away with 1\4 moon spacer to go between reel stand and side plates
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

I'll sell my 20/0 complete but it will cost you..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL