Drive shaft bearing frozen and stuck in sideplate— cant remove

Started by Stevejonny, February 04, 2022, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevejonny

Began maint on old lexa 300 hs-p and found drive shaft bearing inside the side plate basically exploded leaving just the outer edge still lodged into the side plate.  The shaft just sets inside the bearing and doesnt have an e-clip to retain the bearing on the shaft end (which daiwa probably changed so the bearing comes out).  Cant get broke piece out to insert new bearing.  Tried drilling, picks, snap ring plier.... Ideas?

Wompus Cat

Gobs of options  if this is aluminum plates and one is to shave a dowell a bit on the end and Drive it in the bearing casing then try to twist it out and or using gloves put it in the oven for a bit to expand the Reel case a bit and try twisting the Dowell .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Stevejonny

I put in boiling water in a baggie.  It is aluminum.  A dowell?  Im familiar with wood dowells. Is that what you r thinking?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Stevejonny on February 04, 2022, 05:19:20 PM
I put in boiling water in a baggie.  It is aluminum.  A dowell?  Im familiar with wood dowells. Is that what you r thinking?

YEPPER !

alantani

the bane of my existence.  worst case, send it to me and let me take a crack at it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stevejonny

Tried the dowel... SS is harder than wood so Wood doesnt grab.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Stevejonny on February 04, 2022, 05:46:26 PM
Tried the dowel... SS is harder than wood so Wood doesnt grab.

Yes wood is softer that is why I use it . Boiling water was your choice but I use dry heat and it would not hurt to use some WD-40 on  the outer edge of the stuck bearing case . You are dealing with a very small space as well . Might try to get a tighter fit with a Hardwood like Hickory or : Bois D'arc then soak it in water to swell it for a real Tight fit.
There are special pullers you  can purchase as well .

You have the option to send it to THE MASTER .
Good Luck to you and post back if you get it out.

Stevejonny

Appreciate the comments!!  I opted for boil water cause i wanted to avoid complete teardown removing all plastic gears and parts.  Those erings and  springs look like real challenges.  I read using an oil on outer sides and using a heat gun to expand alum...
And theres always falling back to Master Tani

Stevejonny

Local shop suggested using a nail head to get under the race and pry it out.  Grinded the nail head down and trying it now

Stevejonny

GOT IT OUT!!!  The nail head worked.  Kept grinding head to sharpen edge.  Now back to something more interesting!!

Wompus Cat

Brewcrafter

Good job!  I have a selection of modified nails that when paired with vice grips have always done the job.  But in another recent thread OldManJoe showed an elegant solution involving modifying a set of commonly available snap ring pliers that is a sweet solution, especially if you do a fair amount of reel work and do not anticipate this being a "one time" thing. - john