One of the best pictures I ever took !!

Started by 54bullseye, February 18, 2022, 12:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

SB,
You haven't checked out all of John's photos of his relics... it wouldn't be a "Small" museum.
Beautiful collection,
Dom

54bullseye

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on February 18, 2022, 06:55:09 PM
John, what is that gadget on top of the Klein reel?

Good eyes Randy !!! That is a quick release rig that hooks onto a leather harness you wear so once a fish was hooked it only took a second to get connected ! The first picture I am posting is the only harness that I have ever seen. Dan Z used to own it but it has changed hands a few times since then. The rig was designed by a guy named Ralph Geiger who held the  patent on it and apparently sold the idea to Klein as it was on many of his reels !!

The rod on that 10/0 Klein cradle had Ralph Geiger's name on it and the guides were thought to be made by Klein as well !! If you look at the last picture you'll see where brass clips connect and you just push the knurled brass button up to connect or disconnect to reel. It's a neat rig !!    John Taylor

54bullseye

If you look close at the rod you will see it's laminated with 3 layers and it is very flat looking. It's a Shaver rod made by "Roy B. Shaver" in California. Zane Grey used some Shaver rods !!   JT

oldmanjoe

That is one beautiful stick and i love those guides , the workman ship that went into making them .    :)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MarkT

I'm digging that rod, very nice! The reel with that connection to the harness not so much. I'm not sure what they were thinking with that design.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

What an amazing outfit John.  Thank you for the great photos.  Those crazy Californians sure were innovators.

smnaguwa

What caused the "extinction" of the cradle reel system?

54bullseye

Quote from: smnaguwa on February 19, 2022, 01:26:31 PM

Well I will give you my two cents !! They are kinda heavy, awkward and when rod is bent the line seems to be to close to the fore grip and rod !! Especially the lighter models. I rigged up a few for bottom fishing for Cod and Haddock one a Nep-Tuna with 4/0 Senator the other also Nep-tuna with a Jigmaster. The standard butts are very short so I re did the butts to around 14" which I like. They worked okay but honestly they weren't very comfortable to fish and were a bit heavy. That with the fact you couldn't change reels probably led to there demise in my opinion !!!   But I still love them !  LOL !!!    John Taylor

Swami805

Wow, it looks like many hand made one off components on the rod and reel.  The roller guides appear to not have feet and are wrapped between the legs? Trying to think how to do that?  That's a beautiful piece of workmanship from tip to butt. Thanks for showing us!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on February 19, 2022, 03:19:03 PM
Wow, it looks like many hand made one off components on the rod and reel.  The roller guides appear to not have feet and are wrapped between the legs? Trying to think how to do that?  That's a beautiful piece of workmanship from tip to butt. Thanks for showing us!

The base of the guides is wrapped onto the rod first then the top part "roller assembly" screws on to base. You can take top off and it comes apart for servicing rollers. I took them all off and cleaned them when I first got the rod and took pictures but I can't find them.    JT

sabaman1

Awesome pieces of California sportfishing history. Maybe you could share those pictures with Michael Fowlkes? Thanks for sharing that John!
JIM

54bullseye

Quote from: sabaman1 on February 19, 2022, 04:29:55 PM
Awesome pieces of California sportfishing history. Maybe you could share those pictures with Michael Fowlkes? Thanks for sharing that John!
Send him this link !!!   JT

oldmanjoe

Quote from: 54bullseye on February 19, 2022, 02:33:52 PM
Quote from: smnaguwa on February 19, 2022, 01:26:31 PM

Well I will give you my two cents !! They are kinda heavy, awkward and when rod is bent the line seems to be to close to the fore grip and rod !! Especially the lighter models. I rigged up a few for bottom fishing for Cod and Haddock one a Nep-Tuna with 4/0 Senator the other also Nep-tuna with a Jigmaster. The standard butts are very short so I re did the butts to around 14" which I like. They worked okay but honestly they weren't very comfortable to fish and were a bit heavy. That with the fact you couldn't change reels probably led to there demise in my opinion !!!   But I still love them !  LOL !!!    John Taylor
I believe they were made with fighting chair in mind .    This was a design to lower the center of gravity and help with reel rock as was the over the shoulder harness  .   The first guide almost needs to be a  "gin pole "  The line is very close to the fingers and gets closer as the spool empties .
                   'Extinction "    Na  Resurrection ;    https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=32868.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

54bullseye

Your probably right about using them in a chair !! Some of the butts are extremely short and all most all had gimbal butt caps. I have to say there had to be some small skinny people around to be able to use them in a chair because butts were so SHORT !! I have also seen some big cradles that were used up in Wedge Port Nova Scotia for Giant Blue Fin Tuna in the old Tuna Cup contest !!    JT

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!